• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Finally!

Code Neophyte

Silver Member
Another note of thanks for establishing this sub-forum! I suggested it several months back at the ICC board, and to their (partial) credit, they answered by starting the "Existing Buildings" forum, which kind of missed the mark. Consequently, very few posts appeared on that forum, and most dealt with the IEBC, rather than the IMPC. It will be interesting to see if this picks up momentum here!

Re: Finally!

Code: This is an area that seems to fall in the cracks of local ahj's. Some have stiff enforcement and others are laid back. For communities with older housing stock it becomes and issue and the existing building sections often kick in. When it comes to weeds and fences I believe the locals have a better handle. We all face these issues. Here Storm water and junk become the main issues.

I have one storm water issue on my desk now! I just finished one. The one I got corrected was just about in court until the opposing attorney realized he was going to loose. Then we found a fix! I will post some Pictures later.

In one of the municipalities that I serve, storm and sewer are not separated in all areas causing a problem for the sewer plant. As a result we have a lot of storm runoff ordinances including one that was passed at the last meeting that requires any future parking lot of 5 or more spaces to maintain their own runoff underground. We have soil that will handle it so they have to build underground pits.

I think this forum might be particularly helpful with respect to enforcement, not necessarily the standards that are enforced. I know that many of you who have years of experience at this have devised some very creative ways of approaching these issues, and can point out common pitfalls in notice omissions, etc. I'm looking forward to being able to draw on that experience!

most jurisdictions adopt their own property maintenance standards, not the IPMC..

Usually, because that's what they've already adopted and been enforcing.. and in DC, property maintenance extends to supplying new appliances.. (which I've never seen before.. but great).

I use a combo of the CA H&S code, city code, and IPMC. Most of it depends on whether it is a structure, trash and weeds, or a zoning issue (fences, hedges, etc.).

Sue, lost on the frontier..........