• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire Alarms Requirements - Visually Impaired

Gogo707

I am working on a project for a campground (C occupancy) that is a resort of sorts for individuals that are either visually or audibly impaired (blind/deaf). On the campground, they will have an Assembly building for conferences, trainings, etc. The maximum occupant load of this space is 183. Per CFC 907.2.1. this wouldn't require a fire alarm system, however - it feels off to me knowing that this space will be mostly occupied by individuals that are either blind or deaf. I feel as if there should be some type of notification in this building. Can anyone point me in the direction of a code or NFPA standard that may touch on this - if there is any?

Thank you!

Update on this:

I did find in CFC 907.2.25.2:

Camp fire alarm. Every organized camp shall provide and maintain audible appliances or devices suitable for sounding a fire alarm. Such audible appliances or devices may be of any type acceptable to the enforcing agency, provided they are distinctive in tone from all other signaling devices or systems and shall be audible throughout the camp premises. When an automatic fire alarm system is provided, as required by Section 450.6.6 of the California Building Code, all audible appliances required by this section shall be of the same type as that used in the automatic system.

However, I believe that this is only pertaining to a system around the campgrounds - which they do have.

I don’t understand your question. Just because code doesn’t require a system doesn’t mean you can’t install one.