• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire Dampers

globe trekker

I have HVAC metal ducting penetrating 1 hour fire barrier type wall assemblies in more

than one location on the run of the ducting.

Are approved fire dampers "required" in the ducting, at every fire barrier penetration or

will a single fire damper suffice for the entire length of the particular duct? The proposed

facility WILL have an approved fire sprinkler system installed throughout.

I am looking at Section 716 in the 2006 IBC.

Thanks ya'll! :)

fire dampers are not usually reuqired in one hour fire barriers per exception 3 if it is fully ducted.

716.5.2 Fire barriers.

Ducts and air transfer openings that penetrate fire barriers shall be protected with listed fire dampers installed in accordance with their listing. Ducts and air transfer openings shall not penetrate exit enclosures and exit passageways except as permitted by Sections 1020.1.2 and 1021.5, respectively.

Exception: Fire dampers are not required at penetrations of fire barriers where any of the following apply:

1. Penetrations are tested in accordance with ASTM E 119 as part of the fire-resistance rated assembly.

2. Ducts are used as part of an approved smoke control system in accordance with Section 909 and where the fire damper would interfere with the operation of the smoke control system.

3. Such walls are penetrated by ducted HVAC systems, have a required fire-resistance rating of 1 hour or less, are in areas of other than Group H and are in buildings equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2. For the purposes of this exception, a ducted HVAC system shall be a duct system for conveying supply, return or exhaust air as part of the structure's HVAC system. Such a duct system shall be constructed of sheet steel not less than 26 gage thickness and shall be continuous from the air-handling appliance or equipment to the air outlet and inlet terminals.

Coug Dad,

Agreed on Exception # 3, but the engineer has spec'd them in there, in other duct

locations as well.

At this point, should I:

a) Inform the DP that they aren't required in the locations that s/he says has them installed

b) Leave well enough alone

c) other ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your response would depend on your role.

If you are the owners rep, you may want to discuss whether the degree of added protection is worth the cost of installation and maintenance.

If you are the contractor trying to show the owner that you are looking out for their bottom line, maybe you identify how the project may be "over-designed."

If you are a reviewer, you could make a note on the plans along the lines of: "If not required, installation to be per IFC 901.4.2" This may be enough of a hint for the applicant to take another look at it.

AegisFPE said:
If you are a reviewer, you could make a note on the plans along the lines of: "If not required, installation to be per IFC 901.4.2" This may be enough of a hint for the applicant to take another look at it.
Are you the engineer of record?

This project where the HVAC ducting will be installed is a church multi-purpose building,

and our dept. has already had a number of telephone calls from the "movers and shakers"

of the church wanting to know why we are holding up the building permit, so I will be

unable to tell them anything, ...they are going to do what they want to anyway.

The ' contractor-of-record ' is already working on the rough plumbing phase of the

project anyway... without a bldg. permit.

I want to do the right thing on my comments back to the DP's. I will probably include

a comment to the effect of what AegisFPE suggested [ Thanks AegisFPE! ]

mtlogcabin,

If I do not receive a revised set of plans or addendums, I will inspect for the installed

FD's [ Thank you! ]

We've had this similar discussion in my office in regards to other things, not dampers. But, my opinion is, they are exceeding code, who are we to tell them they are being safer than required? We don't know if they have an insurance company involved or the company has a fire safety division that has their own stricter policies.

The installation of dampers is often designed incorrectly. If your job is to review then verify compliance and that's all. However, maintenance and testing of dampers is a frequent problem so if the design creates a potential for non-compliance then it should be addressed. See NFPA 90A Annex A for a good graphic on dampers (compare that with IBC).

Going beyond code minimums is not a crime.

I have a similar situation where they want 1 hour walls but are not required and yet they put in the fire dampers. I am not here to tell them they are not required. Just as I would not tell someone that they only need a double 2x6 for a header instead of the double 2x12 they speced out.

Marshal Chris said:
We've had this similar discussion in my office in regards to other things, not dampers. But, my opinion is, they are exceeding code, who are we to tell them they are being safer than required? We don't know if they have an insurance company involved or the company has a fire safety division that has their own stricter policies.
With that policy, what is an effective way to create confusion and disagreement among the owner, contractor, and architect?

Isn't it really better to create problems at the job site by encouraging the contractor to ignore the plans?