• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire Inspector I exam

EricWatkins

It lists the IFC and IBC as references, but because they have redundant information, at least some parts are duplicates, I am wondering if I really need both? I am studying the IFC, but have access to the IBC. Does anyone know if there are questions on the exam which are specific to only the IBC?

Yes you will need both. I just asked my new guy and he did not have the IBC when he took the Fire Inspector I (in August 2021) exam but he did say there where about six questions that the answers where not in the Fire Code. I asked him if he remembered what the questions pertained and he said types of construction and height and area.
FWIW when you pass the Fire Inspector I continue on and take Fire Inspector II and look into the commercial building inspector exam. You are already into the code books and study discipline just keep going and knock out those 3 since over 50% of the test you already know. It is a whole lot easier than waiting a few years and starting all over again.

Yes you will need both. I just asked my new guy and he did not have the IBC when he took the Fire Inspector I (in August 2021) exam but he did say there where about six questions that the answers where not in the Fire Code. I asked him if he remembered what the questions pertained and he said types of construction and height and area.
FWIW when you pass the Fire Inspector I continue on and take Fire Inspector II and look into the commercial building inspector exam. You are already into the code books and study discipline just keep going and knock out those 3 since over 50% of the test you already know. It is a whole lot easier than waiting a few years and starting all over again.
Agreed. and knock out the Fire Plans Examiner also, I did the three Fires all within a year, made it so much easier. Good luck.

Agreed. and knock out the Fire Plans Examiner also, I did the three Fires all within a year, made it so much easier. Good luck.
Sorry this is so late but what else will i need to study for plans examiner? it list NFPA 13 and 72 but it is not clear what will be included from those books. Will I need to read each book or specific sections or just understand the general layout?

REFERENCES​

2021 International Building Code
2021 International Fire Code
Fire Inspection and Code Enforcement IFSTA
o 7th Edition, or
o 8th Edition
*any copyrighted, bound book may be used at a test site. Exam questions will only come from the listed approved references, and exam appeals may only be based on the listed approved references.

Sorry this is so late but what else will i need to study for plans examiner? it list NFPA 13 and 72 but it is not clear what will be included from those books. Will I need to read each book or specific sections or just understand the general layout?

REFERENCES​

2019 NFPA 13 Standard for Installation of Sprinkler System
2019 NFPA 72 National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code
* any copyrighted, bound book may be used at a test site. Exam questions will only come from the listed approved references, and exam appeals may only be based on the listed approved references.

REFERENCES​

2019 NFPA 13 Standard for Installation of Sprinkler System
2019 NFPA 72 National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code
* any copyrighted, bound book may be used at a test site. Exam questions will only come from the listed approved references, and exam appeals may only be based on the listed approved references.
I need help with what content will i need to study for the FI1, FI2 , and plans exams. The outlines are very vague in what sections you need to know for the exams. Ive read all the way through special occupancies and am starting HAZMAT. Do i need to look through HAZMAT for FI2 because it is not mentioned on the outline? Hazmat is listed in Plans examiner so is that the only test that it comes up? also plans examiner lists NFPA 13 & 72, what exactly do i need to know out of those books for the exam? Do i actually need to read them or just understand the layout to find specific referenced standards that the IFC mentions?