• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire Sprinkler Service Room

There is a debate between an architect and engineer regarding a fire sprinkler service room. While designing a large apartment building, the engineer is saying that the code requires that there be a single entry-exit door for the fire sprinkler service room and that this door must be an exterior door (accessed only from the outside - without having to go into the building first). I understand the general concept but I think that this is a "best practice" rather than a code requirement. This is the room where both the domestic and fire service water lines enter into the building. Both the water meter and fire sprinkler riser will be in the same room. I do not believe that this will be a high-rise building.

Does anyone have any idea what code this engineer might be referring to?

Thanks!

ICC Certified Plan Reviewer
NFPA Certified Fire Plan Examiner

Would only say required if the building code requires it, maybe high rise or fire pump, or a city has an ordinance.

Not in NFPA 13

From NFPA 20,2013 Ed

See below based on the info below IF you have a fire pump then yes exterior access is required.

4.12.2 Equipment Access.
4.12.2.1 The location of and access to the fire pump room(s) shall be pre-planned with the fire department.
4.12.2.1.1 Fire pump rooms not directly accessible from the outside shall be accessible through an enclosed passageway from an enclosed stairway or exterior exit.
4.12.2.1.2 The enclosed passageway shall have a fire-resistance rating not less than the fire-resistance rating of the fire pump room.