• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Flammable rated interceptor?

indyarchyguy

New carwash. Project is in construction. Permits issued, and they have been moving forward. The inspector comes out and tells them they have to provide a rated interceptor where they reclaim the water from the wash to remove soap, etc. in order to help the environment. They have many buildings throughout the midwest. They have never been required to put in a rated interceptor before. This is not the first thing that the inspectors in this city have required out of nowhere....any help would be appreciated. They are on the 2018 UPC.

Tell the nice inspector

You installed a sprinkler system to protect the building..,

Even has Foam

See what he says

Trying to find that out. I asked for a code cite so I can fully understand. They are not willing to provide. I so do not understand why that is so difficult to do.

Because it is not there????

Have not heard that requirement before, even on secondary containment tanks, for flammable storage rooms.

I have run into this many times. You won't find it in the plumbing code because it is dictated by the sewer utility. There are utilities who are concerned that any runoff from motor vehicle uses could cause a buildup of flammable contaminants. It gets really fun when you have to pump the separator and they want explosion proof pumps, they're not cheap!

It may not be in any of the national/international codes, it may be a local amendment or as mentioned earlier every requirement of the local sewer district. No matter which it is he should be able to guide you with a copy of the regulation. If he can't I would appeal the mandate to a higher authority, you achieve building inspector or mayor whichever is appropriate.