• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Flex gas line touching roof deck

Sergio Maldonado

What would be the code violation for a flex gas line running from a gas manifold in a residential attic going to an outdoor grill through an eave that is touching roof deck?
Gas line was hit during roof shingle replacement.
It was in a very confined area hard to see.
Luckily no one was hurt.

I ask that the CSST be 18 away from a roof deck. The concern is that a fireman with a chainsaw can hit the pipe. A few years ago I was challenged by a contractor that ran the CSST attached to the side of a rafter. The pipe was a couple inches from the sheathing. As I recall there is no code provision for that nor was it addressed in the installation instructions.

The installation instructions may have changed.....but nope, I just took a quick look and Gastite hasn't added anything about the tubing and a roof deck.
https://www.gastite.com/downloads/pdfs/gastite_di_guide.pdf

I might have posted something here regarding that. I did. https://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/threads/where-is-this-in-the-code.13482/#post-151345

Last edited:
From the 2015 IFGC -

upload_2018-11-15_6-52-25.png

upload_2018-11-15_6-53-48.png

For the OP's situation, 404.7.2 would apply - a minimum of 1-1/2-inches is required from pipe to interior face of sheathing, or one must protect the entire section of affected pipe w/ 16-gage steel plate.

Reactions: cda
I ask that the CSST be 18 away from a roof deck.

You ask? How do you avoid that being construed as directing work? Work which is not substantiated by a code requirement. The wrong contractor could fight back and your employer would surely be found liable for the costs associated.

Reactions: cda
I ask that the CSST be 18 away from a roof deck. The concern is that a fireman with a chainsaw can hit the pipe.

ICE, your intentions are honorable but maybe you should submit this for a code change if deemed a safety issue. I'd be curious how far it would go up the flagpole.

A chainsaw from above or a sawzall or drill from below through the ceiling drywall also could be potential hazards for CSST.

If it's not in the CA code, it's a friendly request by an observant inspector. Conarb must be napping or he'd be lighting you up!

You ask? How do you avoid that being construed as directing work? Work which is not substantiated by a code requirement. The wrong contractor could fight back and your employer would surely be found liable for the costs associated.

Well I've never claimed to be an angel. Directing work you ask? I have to explain code violations and the solutions day in and day out. I would call that directing work, wouldn't you? I am asked, "What should we do?" every day. If that's not directing work I don't know what is.

Not everything is spelled out in code. Sometimes common sense takes hold and I do what needs to be done. Yes I know there are Conarbs and Mark Ks that think that I am the worst inspector on the planet because I apparently have more code to work with than they do. So what....I'm ok with that.

In the example at hand, we are talking about a flimsy tube with natural gas located where a fireman can saw it in half. Hopefully the gas will be shut off so only what is left in the tube is a hazard.....but what if there was a mistake and the gas was not shut off? What then? Who the Hell put a gas tube next to the sheathing and what inspector let them do it?

I have been asked why the tube is allowed in a wall cavity where the fireman might be ripping off drywall. The tube could get caught along with the drywall. While true enough the comparison is poor. Hooking the tube is different than sawing it in half. The roof gets assaulted nearly every time there is a fire.

In the end I ask the contractors to do the right thing. If asking fails to get results, well then I try another way.....but I always ask first.

Keep in mind who I represent. It is not my employer....it is not the contractor....it is the owner. The person that paid a contractor to perform work on their property. I have their best interest in mind when I write a correction.

There has been few owners that would fault me for writing a correction, whether there's a code or not. When an owner becomes upset with my corrections, my best work, they are upset that the contractor let them down. They were worried about the entire process from the beginning. Did they hire a good contractor or a contractor that is all sizzle and no steak? Are they paying way too much? Is the work great or barely meeting code?

What does an owner expect from an inspector? Is it just the code? I doubt that so I am willing to give them a little extra......but only if it's necessary.

Contractors do fight and they do win when I have no code. I'll give you an example: I wrote a correction at a re-roof final that said, "Clean the debris from the rain gutter." The owner was a elderly lady and she would have to pay someone to clear the gutter of the debris from a wood shingle tear-off. Plugged they were.

So I didn't hesitate to write a correction. The contractor took that to the office manager and I was told that it is a bogus correction. I pointed out the elderly lady has been left with a problem that the contractor created. The code would not back me....my employer would not back me....common sense was not allowed. In the end the little old lady lost out. She was left with a mess to clean up after a contractor wouldn't do the right thing. At least I tried.

I should point out that I have written that correction several time since and no contractor has complained. I suppose they would be embarrassed to ask the office manager to allow them to be a pig.

The statement "Directing the work" is way off base. Look at the pictures here. What should the corrections be if not explaining what to do? Is "Window flashed incorrectly" good enough? Or should I explain how to flash the window? Is "lath not overlapped correctly" all that they need?

It's all going to be torn off and they will start anew. I reckon that's pointing them in a different direction.

44078344530_d67bf595ef_b.jpg

45170716914_a2f25a5d16_b.jpg

No "Directing the work" ....that's hilarious.

Last edited:
Counterstrike....for example:

NOTICE: Only CSA approved hardened striker plates listed for CSST systems may be used. a. At support points and points of penetration less than 2 inches away from any edge of a stud, joist, plate, etc. shielding is required at the area of support and within 5 inches of each side (if appropriate). Use a half striker or a full striker plate in these locations. Figure: 4-19.
b. At support points and points of penetration 2 to 3 inches from any edge of stud, joist plate, etc. shielding is required throughout area of support. Use a quarter striker plate in these locations. Figure: 4-8.

R106.1.2 Manufacturer’s installation instructions.
Manufacturer’s installation instructions, as required by
this code, shall be available on the job site at the time of
inspection.

M1301.3 Installation of materials. Materials shall be
installed in strict accordance with the standards under which
the materials are accepted and approved. In the absence of
such installation procedures, the manufacturer’s instructions
shall be followed. Where the requirements of referenced standards
or manufacturer’s instructions do not conform to minimum
provisions of this code, the provisions of this code shall
apply.

Well I've never claimed to be an angel. Directing work you ask? ...No "Directing the work" ....that's hilarious.

As an inspector, the job is to enforce the code. The code is a minimum standard. Agreed, it is not how I would build, but that is the role we are tasked with.

And as far as directing the work, I provide correction notices that cite a specific code violation. How the contractor gets to the fix is their business. If I tell them what to do and it fails, i would be liable.

Before the fireman is on the roof with a chainsaw all utilities should be shut off to the premises. if the fire was extinguished and fuel to the premise was still on there is a strong probability of a large explosion from re ignition or if electrical the chance of electrocution.

A few years ago I took the installers course by Gastite and learned a lot. What I learned was that 100% of what I had been previously inspecting was wrong or had some serious installation problems. After I took the course and passed I was much better at inspecting CSST overall, especially Gastite. I would recommend that everyone take the certification class by Gastite if you really want to know how CSST is suppose to be installed.

A few years ago I took the installers course by Gastite and learned a lot. What I learned was that 100% of what I had been previously inspecting was wrong or had some serious installation problems. After I took the course and passed I was much better at inspecting CSST overall, especially Gastite. I would recommend that everyone take the certification class by Gastite if you really want to know how CSST is suppose to be installed.

Yes indeed, for anyone interested Gastite offers its class free of charge. They ask for a minimum group, believe it's 10 or so and a place to host but it's a great way to get to know neighboring inspectors, design professionals and contractors you work with. Ask everyone to chip in $5.00 for coffee and light food. The reps I've dealt with are great.

I agree

Well a person can go down to the local lumberyard and buy csst and go someplace and install it

There was a time when I would require the installer to produce a certification card proving that he was trained by the manufacturer. We require a deputy inspector for a simple epoxied anchor bolt and let anyone install a flimsy metal gas hose on their own. When I tell them about striker plates they think dottie plates. The solid #6 bonding jumper stumps them every time.