• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Floor Joist

Zero

Ok so I bought my first home this year and have been trading a friend of mine free rent for minor work to include painting, replacing light fixtures, putting in a new fence ect. Great. However until recently the work he has done for me has been minor ( and well done) however I was out of town for work for a few months and he asked me if he could fix my floors. At this time not being very familiar with what that entailed I agreed and thought very little about it. He sent me the following pictures a few weeks ago and I was surprised at the level of work he was undertaking. My floors, and stair wells have been sloped in various place since I bought it the previous owner cut out a few floor joist to put in an hvac system and its ducts. Did not return to support it properly afterwards. A lso there was significant termite damage covered up by insulation throughout my basement. I am now home and he has completely leveled out the left half of my 1920 home. Nice but this friend is notorious for being a know it all and he brushes off my questions about code and the permits he pulled. I trust him but this is my house and I want to make sure it is correct before I start digging around to find out what permits he pulled and if he did it to code. That way I can be prepared for an apology or damage control when I talk to him next. here are some pictures I took of the work. I live in Virginia and I have ordered a Virginia code book but this thing looks massive.
21316402_2356923157865711_8106501269785926844_o.jpg

This is the summary of what I got out of him over the phone :
17 joists were sistered with 2x10's spanning the whole length from foundation to the central beam.
6 pairs of double joists were completely replaced with a pair of 2x10s each
the 3 joists that were cut to hang the Hvac were sistered with a 2x10 each that spans the floors in its entirety.
each sister has three 1/2 carriage bolts and 6 D12 nails every 12 inches.
the beams are notched a 3/4 of an inch at the foundation because the central beam is shorter by 3/4 of an inch.

I am looking at the code book when it arrives so I better understand all this and I will be having an inspector come through after he is done. In the meantime any help/ advice is welcome.

Codes

We don't need no stinkin codes!!

My guess he did not pull a permit

There's so much information that you haven't provided and that you appear to not be familiar with that I would suggest hiring a experience carpenter and/or engineer. What purpose carriage bolts int the center? Would agree cda and hope that this isn't an example of what passes in your area.

Not a residential or structural person

But seems like more repair work, than code related as in new build or remodel.

Now should the repairs meet somewhat code related, yes.

Is the city going to kick you out no,
I would say if any problem, it would be if you ever sale it, someone may have a good inspector and that person might catch stuff.

Now as per the pictures, have not seen carriage bolts used for structural support like this. To me that is a stress point.

You can hire a private third party inspector or residential structural engineer to look and advice. Just make sure they do not know anyone in the city building dept.

Thanks for the responses. In the first picture one is a new board one is the old board there are 17 like this. since he has added sets of 6 d12 nails every 12 inches. The second picture shows two of the 4 areas that the joists were completely replaced. I will get more pictures tonight. of some other sections.
I have mixed feelings because my floors on that side had a 5 inch drop from one side to the center wall... now they are level. The permit thing I am a bit worried but I think he would have told me if he didnt pull one.

Not a residential or structural person

But seems like more repair work, than code related as in new build or remodel.

Now should the repairs meet somewhat code related, yes.

Is the city going to kick you out no,
I would say if any problem, it would be if you ever sale it, someone may have a good inspector and that person might catch stuff.

Now as per the pictures, have not seen carriage bolts used for structural support like this. To me that is a stress point.

You can hire a private third party inspector or residential structural engineer to look and advice. Just make sure they do not know anyone in the city building dept.

there's the section of code that speaks to a building being unsafe, which will, if unsafe, require you to vacate. again to little information to tell whats going on.

Also he mentioned putting small 2x10 sections perpendicular to the joist up in between them all? And the span being 12 ft.

An engineer ( mech) at my work told me it might be a bad idea to inquire about the permit and to hire a structural engineer to come through after he is finished. which wont be until I return home in 2 months I will be in San Diego for work till then and would like to be present for said inspection as well as informed before hand. I think the code book will help but any direction on where to look/ start in that thing or any more supplemental information would be welcome. thanks

Thanks for the responses. In the first picture one is a new board one is the old board there are 17 like this. since he has added sets of 6 d12 nails every 12 inches. The second picture shows two of the 4 areas that the joists were completely replaced. I will get more pictures tonight. of some other sections.
I have mixed feelings because my floors on that side had a 5 inch drop from one side to the center wall... now they are level. The permit thing I am a bit worried but I think he would have told me if he didnt pull one.

Well if he pulled one, an inspection should have been done.

Depending on the size and modern of your city you can check on the city site for any permits for your address

Or do an anyomous call and ask if any permits for your address

Hmm I would prefer not to be evicted from my own home I will be consulting some of the engineers to find an inspector/ engineer who wont turn me in to the city. Thanks for that bit kilitact I was thinking about biting the bullet and going to the city to check on the permit but I think expediting the inspection might be the better route.

Well trying to read a code book is why this site exits

I would go with residential strucural engineer to look at it.

I call it piggy backing, sometimes done when a support has been cut or drilled to much.

Others on the site can tell you if legal and how it should be done correctly

Well if he pulled one, an inspection should have been done.

Depending on the size and modern of your city you can check on the city site for any permits for your address

Or do an anyomous call and ask if any permits for your address

I was not in town for 2 months it is possible he got an inspection and he has not asked for money for the lumber ( he always gives me receipts) and I assumed he would include the inspection fee or permit fee in there.

he just sent me a picture of his bank statement for the inspection from the city and a charge for the permit I guess he has one pulled

Hmm I would prefer not to be evicted from my own home I will be consulting some of the engineers to find an inspector/ engineer who wont turn me in to the city. Thanks for that bit kilitact I was thinking about biting the bullet and going to the city to check on the permit but I think expediting the inspection might be the better route.

Should be able to check anyomously

he just sent me a picture of his bank statement for the inspection from the city and a charge for the permit I guess he has one pulled

Ok now

Has an inspection been done, if so should be a record of it

If not than see what happens
Worse case city might ask for a stucural engineer to look at it

Than he should be able to provide the documents, the city would have given him, along with the inspection record, which you has homeowner need for your records, for insurance, taxes etc. Reading the code book and understanding it are very different.

Seems like most of the work was just sistering and not likely to cause any issues...The spots where the new or replaced framing is would require some verification, don't waste your money on an engineer unless the City requires one. Any "inspector" that is going to throw someone out of their home for a repair is going to get himself and his municipality sued...

The work actually looks pretty decent from what I can see in the pics.

I would suggest that any "code official" that approves the safety of the occupants based on the information provided should get some additional training before getting their jurisdiction sued.

I would suggest that any "code official" that approves the safety of the occupants based on the information provide should get some additional training before getting their jurisdiction sued.

No one is approving anything just off of the info provided. A simple framing inspection (as would be required by the permit) would answer any questions (or possibly create a few). Ice has posted and most of us have seen new homes with worse stuff than I can see in those pictures. For a "repair" it looks reasonable to say that the guy probably knew what he was doing. Doesn't mean it is right or approved. Just doesn't look like a disaster.