• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Floor = Story

conarb

The situation is that I decided to add a double garage in the rear yard along with a two story addition, I went to zoning to find out the required separation between the house and the U Occupancy, they told me that they don't even refer to U occupancies any more, they now call them "Accessory Structures", and in fact they allow the accessory structure to be attached to the main house since so many residents wanted to add Florida Rooms in rear yard setbacks that they allow garages or any other accessory structures to be attached. So far great, I never dreamed that I could attach the structures, the problem has now arisen in that accessory structures are limited to one story and a maximum height of 15' (recently increased form 12'), the architect came up with what I consider a great idea, put a deck on the roof of the garage like this:

View attachment 2075

At this point all zoning requirements are met, lot coverage, setbacks, height limitations, etc. The problem is that zoning doesn't like decks on accessory structures because neighbors complain about people "looking down on them", this is a corner lot with two affected neighbors, I went to both neighbors and they are willing to write letters stating that they support the concept and will not object. The CBO joined the discussion and stated that he sees a problem because to put a deck on the garage I have to engineer it to floor load, once it's engineered as a floor it constitutes a second floor not allowed on accessory structures. I told him I don't agree with his interpretation, I can "over-engineer" anything I want, he can't stop me, in fact the design constitutes a mansard roof and I can put a tar and gravel surface on the roof and walk on it all I want, just because I tile it doesn't preclude me from doing it. I don't see how they can require me apply to the Planning Commission for a variance to the zoning ordinance, all zoning requirements are met absent the building official's interpretation of what constitutes a second story, as the zoning administrator said: "This is a building code issue", if they don't back down would this be an appeal to the Board of Permit Appeals (if the city has ever constituted one)? I even brought up accessibility issues and the fact that I was installing an elevator for the wife to no avail. These are not bad guys, in the end I think their concern is that they stepped on the slippery slope when they allowed accessory structures to be attached, if they allow me to put a deck on one others will point to it and demand the right to put decks on their accessory structures. Where do I go, Planning Commission or Board of Permit Appeals?View attachment 2075

/monthly_2014_06/1603.jpg.d63a7151d338244e3b6726b319d64d5e.jpg

So what if someone wants to build two story??

Do they not call it accessory ???

"he problem has now arisen in that accessory structures are limited to one story and a maximum height of 15' """"

Sounds like they made rules and did not think of all the ramifications

Building Official is looking at Building Code Issues. Planning staff is looking at Planning and Zoning Issues.

You have an issue with planning and zoning, so the Planning Commission is the direction to go.

Maybe they are objecting to the Hummer.... Stick a Prius in the picture and maybe approved as submitted...?

mark handler said:
Building Official is looking at Building Code Issues. Planning staff is looking at Planning and Zoning Issues.You have an issue with planning and zoning, so the Planning Commission is the direction to go.

Maybe they are objecting to the Hummer.... Stick a Prius in the picture and maybe approved as submitted...?
Not really, I was bringing successive concepts into planning trying to get him to administratively approve lot coverage of 38% when 35% is the requirement, the CBO overheard us and joined the discussion, when he saw the planning administrator was at a loss on the deck issue (that he didn't want) the CBO came up with the "floor is a story" concept, the zoning guy immediately said "this is a building code issue, you can't do it." Not wanting to go to the Planning Commission for a variance I had the architect pull lot coverage back to 35%, at this point I can proceed with the plans without the deck, but the deck would be nice. The deck wasn't in my original concept, the architect put it on there and I really like it, that's what we hire architects for, creativity.

This architect has dropped red Hummers in on prior projects for me, on this project he has a red Hummer in front of the existing garage too, now where am I going to find a second red Hummer, they don't make them anymore?

I'm getting an elevator company to send me specifications, what are minimum sizes for an accessible elevator? Any other requirements like door opening?

2009 IBC Definition

STORY. That portion of a building included between the upper surface of a floor and the upper surface of the floor or roof next above (also see "Basement," "Mezzanine" and Section 502.1). It is measured as the vertical distance from top to top of two successive tiers of beams or finished floor surfaces and, for the topmost story, from the top of the floor finish to the top of the ceiling joists or, where there is not a ceiling, to the top of the roof rafters.

Roof is not a story even if occupied. See also enclosed garage section that permits roof parking.

Frank beat me to it. The building code definition is quite specific, even if the zoning code has a definition of a "story" (which I doubt) it most likely is not as specific, so hang your hat on the building code definition. The "general rule of thumb" is the most specific RULES. It is a one story building.

Frank said:
2009 IBC DefinitionSTORY. That portion of a building included between the upper surface of a floor and the upper surface of the floor or roof next above (also see "Basement," "Mezzanine" and Section 502.1). It is measured as the vertical distance from top to top of two successive tiers of beams or finished floor surfaces and, for the topmost story, from the top of the floor finish to the top of the ceiling joists or, where there is not a ceiling, to the top of the roof rafters.

Roof is not a story even if occupied. See also enclosed garage section that permits roof parking.
But a building code definition is not a zoning code definition.

This is a zoning NOT building issue.

Thanks guys, today I instructed the architect to finish the plans up based upon compliance with all applicable zoning requirements, including the deck as shown above. I am not going to bother them them anymore, I'll submit my construction documents and then address any requirements in writing.As to the elevator the largest residential elevator I have found so far is 4'6" deep by 3'4" wide, the door opening is 3' clear,

View attachment 1065

I know that ADA doesn't apply to residential but with "visitability" regulations looming in the future I might just as well make it compliant, what are ADA elevator minimums? .View attachment 1065

/monthly_2014_06/1603-elevator.jpg.018196320492ce4c224b6b028da9db73.jpg

Frank said:
2009 IBC DefinitionSTORY. That portion of a building included between the upper surface of a floor and the upper surface of the floor or roof next above (also see "Basement," "Mezzanine" and Section 502.1). It is measured as the vertical distance from top to top of two successive tiers of beams or finished floor surfaces and, for the topmost story, from the top of the floor finish to the top of the ceiling joists or, where there is not a ceiling, to the top of the roof rafters.

Thanks Frank, I looked it up and we are on the 2013 CRC, based upon the 2012 IRC, the relevant section is:

2013 IRC said:
R202 Story. That portion of a building included between the upper surface of a floor and the upper surface of the floor or roof next above.
I sent this to the architect:

On the plan you have "Accessory Garage Structure - 576 sf", I'd like you to change that to "Single Story Accessory Garage Structure as per 2013 CRC Sec. R202 576 - sf".