• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Florida Building Code vs. Miami-Dade

LGreene

I am trying to learn more about the requirements for products - particularly doors and hardware, for use in areas affected by the windstorm requirements. We currently have products approved for use per the Florida Building Code requirements and the Miami-Dade NOAs. Are both of these sets of certifications still needed? I have heard that the FBC requirements supersede the Miami-Dade requirements but I am still seeing the Miami-Dade NOAs referenced.

If you're not a Florida code expert but know someone who is, I would appreciate contact information for them so I can get a solid answer on this.

Thanks!

The South Florida Building Code was used in Dade and Broward (and Monroe?) counties prior to adoption of the 2001 Florida Building Code.

Part of that code was product approval for exterior products based on wind loading. The test reports were entered into the Miami-Dade product approval list.

When FBC 2001 came into force, Miami-Dade product approval was the only thing available for use in other parts of the state which required use of the Florida Product Approval System. I.e. the only test reports for wind loading were Miami-Dade.

Since then, the Florida Product Approval System has expanded and Miami Dade has been deprecated. I doubt that there are very many unexpired Miami-Dade product approval reports remaining, most have probably expired.

This doesn't mean that architects have updated their specifications.

A product which has Florida Product Approval for the specific application will meet the building code. However, it may not meet the letter of a specification which requires Miami-Dade approval (even though there may be no longer be any product with a valid Miami-Dade approval).

In other words, "Miami-Dade" = old specifications.

Hope that helps.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

maybe for Miami?? as the approving agency for thier city?? May have to call them for clairification

I visited the Miami-Dade product portal. It looks pretty much like it did back in 2002 when the FBC went into effect.

Miami-Dade approval allows companies not having Florida Product Approval to be approved for use in Miami-Dade (

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10620&stateId=9&stateName=Florida ).

In other words, if a product has Florida Building Code approval, Miami-Dade is superfluous. It is not more stringent. A single code was the whole point of the FBC.

Sec. 8-40. - Product approvals.

Any person desiring to use materials/products used for protection of the envelope of the structure, limited to windows, exterior glazing, wall cladding, roofing, exterior doors, skylights, glass block, siding and shutters shall obtain a high wind velocity zone approval from the Florida Building Commission or shall obtain a local approval in accordance with Sections 553.842 and 553.8425 of the Florida Statutes.

(a)

Local approval of construction products and assemblies.

(1)

Any person or firm, not having an approval from the Florida Building Commission and desiring to supply, furnish, manufacture or fabricate construction products or assemblies, to the extent required by the Building Code shall make application for approval to the Director of the Building and Neighborhood Compliance Department, in accordance with the administrative order governing product approval.

(2)

The application for local product approval shall be made in accordance with the administrative order governing product approval and shall set forth and describe plant methods, personnel, equipment, control procedure, and such other information as may be required to insure compliance of the product or assembly with the Building Code.

(3)

The Building and Neighborhood Compliance Department may approve such product, plant or manufacturing procedure and issue a Certificate of Competency or issue a product approval, as appropriate, after payment of the required fee, upon a finding that such project, plant or manufacturing procedure complies with the Building Code. The Building and Neighborhood Compliance Department will recommend the establishment of conditions and limitations on the use of any product submitted for approval.

(4)

Product approvals given by the Building and Neighborhood Compliance Department shall be valid countywide.

(5)

The Building and Neighborhood Compliance Department may deny, suspend or revoke a product approval or Certificate of Competency upon a finding that a product, plant or procedure does not comply with the Building Code or violates a condition of its approval. Appeal from this decision of the Building and Neighborhood Compliance Department shall be to the Board of Rules and Appeals.

(6)

The manufacturer's or fabricator's name or insignia shall be clearly indicated on each prefabricated structural assembly.

(7)

Appeal from a decision of the Building Official to refuse to accept a product or assembly, which has been previously approved by the Building and Neighborhood Compliance Department, shall be to the Board of Rules and Appeals.

(Ord. No. 01-112, § 1, 7-10-01; Ord. No. 10-64, § 6, 9-24-10)

BTW, I lived through the adoption of the FBC and the implementation of the Product Approval System.