• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

font size

Sort of; require our handouts and office mail be typed in Ariel or Verdana; or non-serif font type size be at least 9 if not 10 or larger.

Same with fonts on placards, signs and lettering where the code specifies labeling.

Until the NEC finally provided min. type size (3/4"?), was referencing the BOCAS fire code that required a min. 1-inch.

It's a shame New Times is default in Outlook.

Last edited:
While we had the old LP²A doing plan checks for some AHJs they were rejecting plans for font size as well as title block placement, drove me nuts hand carrying plans back and forth between architects and engineers, if I didn't it took forever because they'd sent them back to the AHJ that were then calling me to pick them up and take them to the various architects and engineers, I remember once for the title block being ½" too small.

What is "legible" or "of sufficient clarity" for the plans examiner, may be unacceptable for the inspector who doesn't have a magnifying glass in the field.
Bottom line: it is the Building Official or duly authorized representative to decide on what is an acceptable set of plans.

What I found unacceptable was the requirement for 24x36 plans, on large homes you can't fit them at ¼" scale so architects break them into two pages, or do them in 3/16" scale. I can't build with plans on two pages and carpenters can't convert 3/16" with a tape measure, what I finally did was create another set on whatever size it takes to fit the entire building in at ¼" scale, so the inspector saw one set, we built from another.

BTW, I bought a 4' metal triangular scale so workers could scale on the jobsite, they wouldn't use it preferring their tape maeaures.

What I found unacceptable was the requirement for 24x36 plans, on large homes you can't fit them at ¼" scale so architects break them into two pages, or do them in 3/16" scale. I can't build with plans on two pages and carpenters can't convert 3/16" with a tape measure, what I finally did was create another set on whatever size it takes to fit the entire building in at ¼" scale, so the inspector saw one set, we built from another.

BTW, I bought a 4' metal triangular scale so workers could scale on the jobsite, they wouldn't use it preferring their tape maeaures.

I hate match lines when all the different disciplines are using different ones. You end up needing a whole conference room because you need to have almost every single page visible at once.

Coordinate your match lines people!

if I have to get out the magnifier glass the font is to small, crayons and kindergarten pencil is also on the not acceptable list.