• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Footing degraded

norcal16

Single story ranch style home built in 1958. Perimeter concrete foundation/stem wall located in a mild climate (Northern Calif).

A foundation access door was placed here at some point. It appears to have been done by the builder. It also appears that the foundation was undermined or degraded because there is a void in the footing with a piece of rebar exposed. My guess is that it was undermined intentionally to feed a water supply pipe into the building (rural property on a well). Or grade drainage was poor in this area and water deteriorated this area. Building has not experienced any settlement beyond tolerances (<1″). Discovered this area because homeowner would like to pour a concrete patio and wanted to raise the base of the foundation access hole six inches so that patio grade would be at proper height.

I am an electrician and new to this particular area (do not have a lot of contacts in the trades as of yet). Homeowner is a childhood friend of mine and has asked me to oversee this repair. I have some knowledge in this area but do not consider myself a pro-concrete/foundation guy. I told here we need to visit the building dept and get a permit. Before I caIl in a concrete/foundation contractor, wondering what your thoughts are in repairing this so I can compare to the solution the contractor gives. Again, being new to the area, I want to be sure I steer my friend in the right direction.

My thought was to:

1) chip any loose concrete not structurally sound, wire brush, vacuum dust

2) rust mort the exposed piece of rebar (or sand blast it) then encapsulate it in a poly concrete sealer

3) epoxy dowel 1/2" rebar into both sides of the footing void and stem wall void to use the existing footing and stem wall to resist lateral movement.

4) tie the rebar (or weld it)

5) set forms 2'-3' past the footing void (dowel this area past the void as well so the new pour can have an additional anchor)

6) pour 4000 psi concrete.

Plan on visiting the local building dept soon but just too darn busy this week.

Thought I'd seek the opinion of you guys so that I am more familiar with what is presented to me by the contractor.
KGDDLX

https://flic.kr/p/KGDDLX

The void was there from day one. The underfloor access was blocked out and the concrete didn't fill the void when it was placed originally.

It's difficult to tell from the picture but the void may be below what I can see clearly. In any event, my dept wouldn't require a permit to repair this and a patio slab without a cover would not require a permit either.

Last edited:
The void was there from day one. The underfloor access was blocked out and the concrete didn't fill the void when it was placed originally.

It's difficult to tell from the picture but the void may be below what I can see clearly. In any event, my dept wouldn't require a permit to repair this and a patio slab without a cover would not require a permit either.
Thank you. I ended up doweling with rebar and repouring over the top and up to the height of the existing stem wall.