• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Foundation Repairs....Permit Required?

Mule

Platinum Member
How many of you guys and gals require permits for foundation repairs?

We require permits when contractors are pouring piers to bring the foundation up, but what if the only thing they are doing is leveling with no structural?

Re: Foundation Repairs....Permit Required?

How is it being leveled without being structural?

If by repair you mean that there is a crack in the wall and they are spraying some sort of foam material to seal it, then no permit required.

Leveling??

We require permits for structural foundation repairs, and there are many in our community.

If its just a crack repair/epoxy injection, there is no permit.

Anything that goes beyond, such as interior stabilization, hydraulic or helical piers, structural crack plates, underpinning, etc. We require engineered drawings and inspections while work is in progress.

mj

We require permit for structural foundation repairs. We do not require permit for minor crack repairs or seismic retrofit as they are considered voluntary, however we will issue a permit upon request.

'Releveling' sounds like 'Problem' to me.

Minor repairs, no permit.

Major repairs, permit.

'Normal maintenance and repair' does not require a permit... Needing to relevel a foundation is not 'normal'.

'Releveling' here is done on mobile and manufactured homes that were installed prior to mid-nineties, when 'park set' M/Us were allowed within the city limits. We require a permit, plans, and an inspection when the retrofit engineered tie down system is installed to meet seismic requirements.

As to regular homes, we don't have repairs per se but I have had several foundations put in under homes, including mine, that were built 'without' a foundation because it was under the old codes. Lots of homes on rocks, mine was about 3' in the air on pier and post. None exactly seismically sound.

Sue

'Releveling' here is done on mobile and manufactured homes that were installed prior to mid-nineties, when 'park set' M/Us were allowed within the city limits. We require a permit, plans, and an inspection when the retrofit engineered tie down system is installed to meet seismic requirements.

As to regular homes, we don't have repairs per se but I have had several foundations put in under homes, including mine, that were built 'without' a foundation because it was under the old codes. Lots of homes on rocks, mine was about 3' in the air on pier and post. None exactly seismically sound.

Sue
For a month or so, we have been prepping our mother's home to sell it. De clutter, empty it pretty much. It has been slow going.....occasionally emotional.
This home was built in the earliest 1930s. It is a real "charmer" in a highly desirable neighborhood. Homes rarely remain on market more than a few days to a few weeks.
However, there is a problem with concrete walls of the basement. A major crack running across the wall on one side, and that wall is buckled a bit.
What to do? What contractor's recommendation to go with foundation repair orleans? And choosing the contractor? Or, do a sell "as is"? And show the quotes, or let potential buyer decide what to do?
Home value about 225k-ish.
For a month or so, we have been prepping our mother's home to sell it. De clutter, empty it pretty much. It has been slow going.....occasionally emotional.
This home was built in the earliest 1930s. It is a real "charmer" in a highly desirable neighborhood. Homes rarely remain on market more than a few days to a few weeks.
However, there is a problem with concrete walls of the basement. A major crack running across the wall on one side, and that wall is buckled a bit.
What to do? What contractor's recommendation to go with? And choosing the contractor? Or, do a sell "as is"? And show the quotes, or let potential buyer decide what to do?

We require permit for structural foundation repairs. We do not require permit for minor crack repairs or seismic retrofit as they are considered voluntary, however we will issue a permit upon request.
Why do voluntary repairs not need a permit? By this logic because I decide to voluntary build a building a permit is not required.

epoxy crack injection is a addressing a structural concern.

Sue
Just because a building permitted under a previous code is not considered seismically sound does not provide sufficient justification for a mandatory retrofit. In California a building permitted according to a previous code and maintained in compliance with that original permit cannot be required to be upgraded to an new code unless the Legislature has so provided. Additions and alterations are treated differently.

What to do? What contractor's recommendation to go with? And choosing the contractor? Or, do a sell "as is"? And show the quotes, or let potential buyer decide what to do?
I would require a permit and an engineered sealed plans for the repairs

I would sell as-is, priced down a little to compensate for the bad foundation. Let the buyer decide what to do.

If that doesn't work, then I would think about fixing it. In our area, house flippers will be all over a fixer-upper in a good neighborhood. In your area, I don't know how things go, so my advice may not be applicable.

If you want to fix it, hire an engineer - you don't want to do something that a contractor thinks will work because "he's been doing it for 20 years" on a foundation. If you ever become an inspector, you will rapidly discover that the 20 years thing is not even remotely encouraging.

Last edited:
I am dealing with a client with a similar situation- large horizontal cracking of the foundation walls in 2 corners of the house, I believe cause by frost jacking of a portion of the foundation that was not sufficiently frost protected by soil.

I believe the proper repair detail will be to replace those damaged sections of the foundation, which will require an engineer to design temporary support of the house structure, rebar doweling of the cold joint and concrete reinforcement.

How you move forward is up to you, but if you decide to sell make sure to disclose the existing condition to avoid legal troubles later.

I don't see a need for a permit to repair a foundation. The foundation can fail and still be legal. Anything done to improve the foundation is over and above what the code requires.

Consider this: An owner decides that the footing should be deeper than it is.....it is at the code prescribed depth but the owner wants to add two feet of underpinning. Is a permit required?

Seismic retrofit is a thing here in California. No permit is required yet most companies get a permit. I suppose that is driven by a desire to show an insurance company that the work was legitimate.

I don't see a need for a permit to repair a foundation. The foundation can fail and still be legal. Anything done to improve the foundation is over and above what the code requires.

Consider this: An owner decides that the footing should be deeper than it is.....it is at the code prescribed depth but the owner wants to add two feet of underpinning. Is a permit required?

Seismic retrofit is a thing here in California. No permit is required yet most companies get a permit. I suppose that is driven by a desire to show an insurance company that the work was legitimate.
Under the CA State Earthquake Authority they must get a permit from your local building department.

Our town is located in Seismic Zone D1. We require a permit if there is any new structural components added, or changes made to the foundation. Usually the foundations repairs are related to poorly compacted soils or grade changes due to proximity to slopes.

I find it interesting that unlicensed individuals are determining what engineering repairs/retrofits require a permit. I assume that they consult with a nurse rather than a doctor before deciding on the need for surgery.

Are we assuming that contractors know that the proposed repairs/retrofits will be effective?

The idea that work done above and beyond the code does not require a permit does not make sense. How do we know that the proposed work is actually above and beyond the code?

Under the CA State Earthquake Authority they must get a permit from your local building department.
The CEA program is a voluntary program which means that if you dont play by their rules you do not get the benefits of the program. This is not a regulatory program.

I find it interesting that unlicensed individuals are determining what engineering repairs/retrofits require a permit.
It was licensed structural engineers that decided to exempt seismic retrofits.

I assume that they consult with a nurse rather than a doctor before deciding on the need for surgery.
Don't be a silly Sally. You should always ask the nurse which doctor she would allow to work on herself. It is best to not trust a surgeon as they have an itch to cut.