• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Frank Lloyd Wright visitor center expansion

mark handler

SAWHORSE
Frank Lloyd center expansion plan nixed
September 16, 2019
The Frank Lloyd Wright visitor center expansion proposal in Illinois has been rejected by the Oak Park Historic Preservation Commission.
Image courtesy Frank Lloyd Wright Trust
The Village of Oak Park’s historic commission has rejected the proposed expansion of the Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio, Illinois.
The commission has unanimously rejected the Frank Lloyd Wright Trust’s plan to move or demolish one home adjacent to the celebrated architect’s home and studio, and alter another, Chicago Tribune reports.
Designed by architect John Ronan, the proposal included a state-of-the-art expansion with increased indoor and outdoor capacity by more than 1858 m2 (20,000 sf).
“In addition to directly impacting two historic buildings in the district, we believe this proposal would permanently and negatively alter the character of this historic area, which is visited annually by thousands of people from around the world who come to experience this singular place where Frank Lloyd Wright refined Prairie School architecture,” said Jennifer Sandy, associate field director at the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Subsequent to the vote, the trust said, according to a report in the Chicago Tribune, “The Frank Lloyd Wright Trust will not exercise its option to appeal the decision of the Oak Park Historic Preservation Commission, but will reconsider its plan.”

I've been to the Wright home and have taken the tour. It's in a neighborhood setting and strongly believe the correct decision has been made by the OPHPC. If an adjacent structure was to become dilapidated or destroyed I think that board would revisit the expansion efforts. Not every attraction needs to be like Disney World. Some of the best places to grab something to eat are hole in the walls, no need to build a welcome center and disrupt the hood.

I encourage forum members to take the tour when in Chicago, they have a small gift shop and street parking, recommend a week day tour. One of my favorite places to stop, took my youngest daughter at the time, I thought she might be interested in becoming a "girl who draws!".

Sometimes you just got to stop and take it all in.

Been there and Taliesan East too, both are must sees.
Finally got to Fallingwater last year, it too is a must see, photos don't do it justice.