• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Free ICC Codes?

FM William Burns

I noticed the other day my old link to the ICC free access of codes has changed and now they are all by year and single view only :-(

Anyone else notice the same and is there any other "free" access to get to the multiple codes?

Cheap FMWB

I had the links on my town website and changed it to what Francis wrote. Thank you! I did notice that the NFPA codes are blocked on that site though.

I found a good enough work-a-round for now.... for the cash cow's own link..........remember I'm a firefighter we do things on the fly due to dwindling budgets :) I do a lot of plan reviews and have a great snap shot tool so now I can still copy and paste.

upload_2016-7-15_15-34-43.png

Example below;

CHAPTER 1 SCOPE AND ADMINISTRATION

PART 1—GENERAL PROVISIONS (not specific mind you)

SECTION 101 SCOPE AND GENERAL REQUIREMENTS

[A] 101.1 Title (Mr. or Miss but not Sir. or Madam).
These regulations shall be known as the Fire Code of [NAME OF JURISDICTION], hereinafter referred to as “this code.”

[A] 101.2 Scope.
This code establishes regulations affecting or relating to structures, processes, premises and safeguards regarding of the following chosen as you may:

1. The hazard of fire and explosion arising from the storage, handling or use of structures, materials or devices.

2. Conditions hazardous to life, property or public welfare or happiness in the occupancy of structures or premises.

3. Fire hazards in the structure or on the premises from occupancy or operation.

4. Matters related to the construction, extension, repair, alteration or removal of fire suppression or alarm systems.

5. Conditions affecting the safety of fire fighters and emergency responders during emergency operations.

6. Bla, bla, bla, bla . . .

Last edited:
In California Building Standards has finally published their codes for mass consumption, I don't know what they are doing about the ICC copyright issues but suspect they may be paying the ICC a blanket fee. Here is the link.

On the issue of taking images I have used Snagit, when I first found out about it 16 years ago it was free along with a request for a donation, with every upgrade I ignored the donation until I felt so guilty that I started voluntarily donating, it's the only free program that I have ever made the requested donation, they now charge for it but there is still a free trial period.

steveray following the illustrations above, open with Internet Explorer, click File in the Menu Bar, click Edit with Microsoft Word in the drop down menu, right click then copy, paste to word document. May have to play with the formats to get it to cut and paste as desired.

No animals or plants were harmed in the answering of this question. Any similarity with any person, imagined or dead, is purely coincidental and unintended.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBI
Ok guys & maybe some girls..........here is the "free" software I use to snapshot stuff like the codes now or anything else: It's called (greenshot) and it is fantastic and very easy to install and use. Just remember to only keep the top 2 boxes checked in the pop up dialog box when configuring how to use it! You can open it in everything. ENJOY!

http://getgreenshot.org/

upload_2016-7-18_16-4-46.png

Last edited: