• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fuel Gas Fireplace Bumpout

Keystone

SAWHORSE
i am definitely the only one who is making this call, every contractor, framer and builder tells me so and if it's said enough times we believe it but really I think I am the only person making this call. I'm in zone 5, 90% of the bldr's use 2" by 6" exterior wall framing with R21 insulation, EXCEPT!!!! When it comes to the fireplace bump outs then for some unknown reason everyone thinks it's okay to use 2" by 4" with R13 or R15. This area is still part of the thermal envelope and is required to meet the energy code.

I've been told;
-that makes no sense.
-you sure you want me to do that.
-but I use that thermal ply stuff so that helps.
-but I insulate the house walls to R21.
-it's on my plans as 2" by 4". No no no it's not.
-no other inspector even looks at that.

Please tell me I'm not the only inspector looking at this or if I am then pass me a pink slip for being wrong or an award for being right!!!!

I've been told;
-that makes no sense. Yes it does when you read the code
-you sure you want me to do that. Yes I surly do
-but I use that thermal ply stuff so that helps. No it does not equal the minimum R- value required
-but I insulate the house walls to R21. Not the walls around the fireplace bump out
-no other inspector even looks at that. Really, well I will talk to them about what they have missed.

# ~ #

O.K., ...you get an award for actually checking
and knowing the applicable Codes........Also,
for trying to obtain compliance to what has been
adopted in your jurisdiction.

Keep up the GREAT work ! ;)

# ~ #

i am definitely the only one who is making this call, every contractor, framer and builder tells me so and if it's said enough times we believe it but really I think I am the only person making this call. I'm in zone 5, 90% of the bldr's use 2" by 6" exterior wall framing with R21 insulation, EXCEPT!!!! When it comes to the fireplace bump outs then for some unknown reason everyone thinks it's okay to use 2" by 4" with R13 or R15. This area is still part of the thermal envelope and is required to meet the energy code.

I've been told;
-that makes no sense.
-you sure you want me to do that.
-but I use that thermal ply stuff so that helps.
-but I insulate the house walls to R21.
-no other inspector even looks at that.

Please tell me I'm not the only inspector looking at this or if I am then pass me a pink slip for being wrong or an award for being right!!!!

You are correct in your enforcement

Reactions: JBI
I had this too for a whole development of cookie cutter houses and failed a framing inspection. Boss said to leave it alone if I want to keep my job.

Keystone, do you get 2x6 framing for other bump-outs, like a kitchen window or bay wall?

I agree with you it should meet the required R-value for your area.