• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Gable valley rafter and header sizes

cyberwombat

Hi. I have a 12:12 gable main roof w 2x12 and an LVL ridge board. I have a gable dormer of same pitch and unsure on how how to size the valley rafter for code IRC 2018. I don't really see anything except the part about the ridge beam/board size. I can use a 2z14 here to match so not too big of a deal but that does mean running valley rafter to main ridge which is probably my approach (dormer ridge is about 3.5' from top on a 16' rafter) but if I wanted to do a double header at top of dormer/main roof junction then I would need to use 16" lvl to make that match. My dormer only needs 2x6' btw.

Is there a requirement in the IRC 2018 that might indicate whether these headers would need to be 16"?

For clarity I am referring to the two dormer type builds on left side of https://www.jlconline.com/tools/fastening-tools/power-tools/framing-gable-and-shed-dormers_o

Thank you