• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Garage door closer Q.

SCBO1

Platinum Member
A detached garage was built then it was connected to the exiting house with a enclosed roofed breezeway. You can exit in to the breezeway from the old exterior back door and enter the new garage through a new exterior door on the garage wall inside the breezeway. The garage has an exterior door installed but no closer per 2012 R302.5.1. The code sez openings between the garage and the residence shall be equipped with a solid door and closer.

Would one closer on either door meet the code or just one closer on the new garage do the trick?

In case you wear wondering, the breezeway has a patio door that you can exit into the yard from.

I would say the doorway from the breezeway to the house would be the door to comply. But really no reason, suppose the breezeway to the garage would work also.

Is the garage going to have compliant wallboard installed per R302.6?

Is the breezeway a conditioned space?

In case you wear wondering, the breezeway has a patio door that you can exit into the yard from.

Is the breezeway totally enclosed???

Just wondering do you really have this:::

Other openings between the garage and residence

Is the garage going to have compliant wallboard installed per R302.6?

Is the breezeway a conditioned space?
5/8 type-x drywall installed on walls and garage ceiling covered with drywall.

Breezeway is a non-conditioned space with small window and sliding patio door to yard.

Roofed and drywall ceiling in breezeway, walls are drywalled with patio door on one exterior wall and small window on the other wall.

I'm thinking just the garage walk-out door into the breezeway needs the closer? That would contain a fire in the garage until the FD gets there.

In that case, with the 5/8 Type X in garage, I would concur.

You have eyes on I could see yes and no on closing device

I take the section to mean directly attached to the house

As you walk directly from the garage into the house

I take the section to mean directly attached to the house

As you walk directly from the garage into the house
That's why I needed some guidance.

The existing house back door has glass and a storm door.