• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Garage Door, Man Door, and Window Header

mauromj

I am constructing my first building (40x60 shop, 2x6 construction, 16" OC). Since I am new to this, I have questions on load bearing headers (on the eave end of trusses).
I live in Washington State. Everything I can find, states a minimum of 2 trimmer (jack) studs per header end, a header that is at least 9" longer then your opening.

I have drawn up the following front wall. Can anyone help confirm is these headers/framing methods meet WA code? I will be framing this myself and do not want to run into any major issues when it comes time to sign off.

You may need to rotate/zoom...

IMG_3772.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mauromj,
welcome to the forum
I do not have the answer for Washington, but will attempt an answer from the minimum British Columbia code requirements. 1654352678218.png
looking forward to seeing the other answers.

Where I worked there was a requirement to double the king studs on any opening over six feet. As a practical matter I always doubled the king studs on any heavy man door. Of course you are framing with 2"X6" studs but force of habit and all. What seismic zone are you in?

I took the liberty of adding the drawing to your post.

Last edited:
Where I worked there was a requirement to double the king studs on any opening over six feet. As a practical matter I always doubled the king studs on any heavy man door. Of course you are framing with 2"X6" studs but force of habit and all. What seismic zone are you in?

I took the liberty of adding the drawing to your post.
Thanks ICE. I appreciate the edit and the response.

It appears I am in seismic design category b. I found this information at the following website. I am in Whitman County (bottom right corner of WA).

My biggest concern at this point is the headers. From what I have heard on here by many, is that some states require an engineer stamp on garage door headers that act as a load bearing wall. I have stamped trusses, and documentation on the header, but no engineered design.

What’s the laminated beam capacity in plf?
Here is the table from the manufacturer: https://rosboro.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/2019-03-Rosboro-X-Beam_Guide-FNL_a_Print.pdf

And some notes from it:
1. Applicable to simply-supported beam with sufficient bracing to avoid lateral buckling (CL = 1.0).
2. Applicable to dry-use service conditions (CM = 1.0).
3. Tabulated live load (LL) is based on the deflection criterion of span/240.
4. Tabulated total load (TL) is based on the deflection criterion of span/180.
5. Tabulated total load (TL) is in addition to beam weight (assumed 35 pcf).
6. Selected beam size shall satisfy both live load and total load.
7. "--" indicates the allowable load is smaller than 40 plf.
8. Blank live load indicates the live load is greater than the toal load.
9. Bearing "BRG" is in inches and is calculated based on the total load including the beam weight.

XpK6Ge.png

Here is the table from the manufacturer: https://rosboro.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/2019-03-Rosboro-X-Beam_Guide-FNL_a_Print.pdf

And some notes from it:
1. Applicable to simply-supported beam with sufficient bracing to avoid lateral buckling (CL = 1.0).
2. Applicable to dry-use service conditions (CM = 1.0).
3. Tabulated live load (LL) is based on the deflection criterion of span/240.
4. Tabulated total load (TL) is based on the deflection criterion of span/180.
5. Tabulated total load (TL) is in addition to beam weight (assumed 35 pcf).
6. Selected beam size shall satisfy both live load and total load.
7. "--" indicates the allowable load is smaller than 40 plf.
8. Blank live load indicates the live load is greater than the toal load.
9. Bearing "BRG" is in inches and is calculated based on the total load including the beam weight.

XpK6Ge.png
XpK6Ge.png
I‘m not an engineer, but I figured you’d have at least 800 TL (plf). 20 psf DL plus 20 psf LL for 20 ft (half the width of the roof), plus a little wall load.

Are you using portal frames? The headers are likely going to be a minimum 3-1/2"x11" net dimension given what appears to be the portal frames. You really do not have enough panel width near the windows to use any other method.

Would really need to see a full plan to answer more about the brace wall design though....

1654526668364.png
FIGURE R602.10.6.2
METHOD PFH—PORTAL FRAME WITH HOLD-DOWNS

1654526684033.png
FIGURE R602.10.6.3
METHOD PFG—PORTAL FRAME AT GARAGE DOOR OPENINGS IN SEISMIC DESIGN CATEGORIES A, B AND C

I agree classic T, the lateral bracing seems more the problem than bearing, J Smith observation probably pointing to 13 1/2" deep lvl. I would expect single king stud is fine (local amendments to IRC may disagree) though the extra full height stud may make it easier to build and tip up in three sections.