• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

GARAGE FLOOR

VLADIMIR LEVIN

Does the residential code require that the garage slab be lower than the house floor?
I couldn't find it anywhere, but I have a contractor who swears it does.

Does the residential code require that the garage slab be lower than the house floor?
I couldn't find it anywhere, but I have a contractor who swears it does.
That is found in:
R007 Practical Common Sense

That section has been deleted from the International Codes. However, it can still be found in Tiger Code.

Last edited:
I have also heard this many times from contractors but I have never been able to locate it in the res. code. It may be a relic from older codes, or it may just be a best practice, either way it's become part of the Urban Code of Legend.

1995 CABO 309.3 required the parking area to be sloped to facilitate drainage toward the main vehicle door.

R309.1 Floor surface. Garage floor surfaces shall be of approved noncombustible material.
The area of floor used for parking of automobiles or other vehicles shall be sloped to facilitate the movement of liquids to a drain or toward the main vehicle entry doorway.

Previous editions of the code required a 4 inch raised threshold between the garage; basement or living area. That requirement was best provided by a 4 in floor difference between the spaces. I had to deal whit some that kept the floor surfaces even and jacked the door frame up on 3 inch of wood, then creating a threshold the exceeded the maximum of threshold shall not exceed 1.5 inch requirement.

The reason that I appreiate the four inch elevation difference has to do with hosing out the garage. Of course in this aqua scarce time in my life, I don't do that anymore. However, no change in elevation just seems wrong. I would forever be stepping up to nowhere.

And Glenn came through again with historical code requirements

As a fun little anecdote, I went into my vintage library, as there indeed is history of a step being required. Enjoy!

SBCCI (Southern Standard Building Code)
--1965, Section 506): "[a door] may be permitted provided the sill is raised at least 8 inches above the garage floor when the doorway connects directly with any room in which there is any direct-fired heating device or gas fixture."
--1994, Section 411.2.8: "Connection of an automobile parking garage with any room in which there is afuel-fired appliance shall be by means of a door way with a raised sill at least 8 inches above the garage floor or through a vestibule providing two door separation."

So the southern code was concerned with ignition of gasses. This is reflected in the current I-codes where fuel-burning appliances must have their ignition source at least 18" above the floor.

BOCA (National Building Code)
--1978, Section 413.1.1: "The sills of all door openings between the garage and dwelling shall be raised not less than four inches above the garage floor."
--1999, Section 407.5 "The sills of all door openings between private garages and adjacent interior spaces shall be raised not less than 4 inches above the garage floor"

There isn't really anything to glean from these BOCA provisions as to "why" they wanted the step in the BOCA code.

ICBO (Uniform Building Code)
--1927, Section 1505: "[attached garages shall] be equipped with fixed louvered or screened opening or exhaust ventilation with exhaust opening located within six inches of the floor."
--I don't have time right now to investigate my entire UBC collection for the evolution of this provision because I have every edition. It will take some time.

CABO (One and Two Family Dwelling Code)
--1986 was when this new provision was introduced, section 210.3 "That area of floor used for parking of automobiles or other vehicles shall be sloped to facilitate the movement of liquids toward the main vehicle entry doorway."

--So it seems back in the 20's the UBC concern was gas and they required venting to the exterior.
--Then in the 60's and 70's (maybe earlier but my SBCCI and BOCA collection doesn't go back further than 1965) they addressed the concern of gas with the step to the house, but referenced the need for a fuel-burning appliance to create the hazard of igniting the gasses.
--In modern codes there are two issues. Leaking fluid gasoline and other liquid contaminants that could drain to the house door and explosive gasses that can be ignited. This is now covered with the sloping floor requirement and the raised ignition source requirement.

And Glenn came through again with historical code requirements

As a fun little anecdote, I went into my vintage library, as there indeed is history of a step being required. Enjoy!

SBCCI (Southern Standard Building Code)
--1965, Section 506): "[a door] may be permitted provided the sill is raised at least 8 inches above the garage floor when the doorway connects directly with any room in which there is any direct-fired heating device or gas fixture."
--1994, Section 411.2.8: "Connection of an automobile parking garage with any room in which there is afuel-fired appliance shall be by means of a door way with a raised sill at least 8 inches above the garage floor or through a vestibule providing two door separation."

So the southern code was concerned with ignition of gasses. This is reflected in the current I-codes where fuel-burning appliances must have their ignition source at least 18" above the floor.

BOCA (National Building Code)
--1978, Section 413.1.1: "The sills of all door openings between the garage and dwelling shall be raised not less than four inches above the garage floor."
--1999, Section 407.5 "The sills of all door openings between private garages and adjacent interior spaces shall be raised not less than 4 inches above the garage floor"

There isn't really anything to glean from these BOCA provisions as to "why" they wanted the step in the BOCA code.

ICBO (Uniform Building Code)
--1927, Section 1505: "[attached garages shall] be equipped with fixed louvered or screened opening or exhaust ventilation with exhaust opening located within six inches of the floor."
--I don't have time right now to investigate my entire UBC collection for the evolution of this provision because I have every edition. It will take some time.

CABO (One and Two Family Dwelling Code)
--1986 was when this new provision was introduced, section 210.3 "That area of floor used for parking of automobiles or other vehicles shall be sloped to facilitate the movement of liquids toward the main vehicle entry doorway."

--So it seems back in the 20's the UBC concern was gas and they required venting to the exterior.
--Then in the 60's and 70's (maybe earlier but my SBCCI and BOCA collection doesn't go back further than 1965) they addressed the concern of gas with the step to the house, but referenced the need for a fuel-burning appliance to create the hazard of igniting the gasses metallic epoxy flooring cape coral.
--In modern codes there are two issues. Leaking fluid gasoline and other liquid contaminants that could drain to the house door and explosive gasses that can be ignited. This is now covered with the sloping floor requirement and the raised ignition source requirement.
I recently bought a house and I’ll be moving next month. I was considering having an epoxy shield coat professionally installed since I intend to be there long-term. Has anyone had this done to their garage floor recently, and how much did you pay for it to have been done? The one I am looking at is approximately $4100 and comes with a 20-year warranty for a 3-car garage that has approximately 600 sq feet. This price includes surface preparation of the existing concrete since the house is not brand new. Thanks

You’re posting that question in the wrong forum. This is the place to ask code compliance questions … like would an epoxy coating violate a building code. You should post that question at a home improvement forum.

I recently bought a house and I’ll be moving next month. I was considering having an epoxy shield coat professionally installed since I intend to be there long-term. Has anyone had this done to their garage floor recently, and how much did you pay for it to have been done? The one I am looking at is approximately $4100 and comes with a 20-year warranty for a 3-car garage that has approximately 600 sq feet. This price includes surface preparation of the existing concrete since the house is not brand new. Thanks
A little over $300.00 in material.