• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

garage / house firewall

xracer390

Been searching the Minnesota state codes and cannot find the specific ruling. I have basically 2 pole buildings next to each other. One is living space and the other is shop space. 9 foot ceilings on the house and 14 foot on the shop. The gable end of the house buts up to the sidewall of the shop. Roof of the house was extended to meet the roof of the shop.

Found this but Utah. https://up.codes/viewer/utah/irc-2015/chapter/3/building-planning#R302.6

Any help is appreciated. Bryan

548263d1548688473-our-diy-home-build-margaskeeterville-7822542182273209735.jpg
548261d1548688449-our-diy-home-build-margaskeeterville-7546953457829948267.jpg

Was there's a permit issued? Plan review? Does the state of MN require designed plans? Have there been any inspections like pier or footings?

If using a model code, most require garage separation from living area in most situations.

After seeing the posted photo's, separation wall from floor to roof if not drywalling the garage ceiling.

Look up the definition of a firewall. You are talking about fire separation with a fire-partition. Maybe you can't find what you are looking for because a firewall is not in the residential code.

I guess I should ask then. What is required in a residential building between living quarters and a garage? Can someone show me the actual code? Minnesota. Thanks

If that was my place, I think I would over design, and add twice the required.

For safety, and in case something does go wrong