• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Garage ventilation

Sifu

SAWHORSE
Given 10 bay, individual stalls, in a single detached building, separated by fire rated partitions to the underside of the deck, accessory to but separate from an R2 project. Are these buildings required to meet the requirements of IMC 404 or IBC 406.6 as enclosed parking garages? IBC 406.6 excepts them if they are accessory to one & two family dwellings, but not sure if that could apply to these since they are not one & two family dwellings. I can't see putting the types of ventilation and exhaust required for an actual enclosed parking garage in them, but would like some better understanding. Any guidance towards some code language would be appreciated.

I may have found my answers. IBC 406.3 would classify these as private garages, so with that I can not apply the provisions for public garages and I think that is my way out. If anyone disagrees please show me the light.

Sifu, So you will have 1-hr fire wall barriers? it sez or horizontal assembles or both?

Fire barrier walls per 406.3.1. One long single stand-alone building, 1-story building.