• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

"garden Window" U factor

bgingras

Have a contractor that proposes a "garden window" that comes back at a U fcator of .59...claims that is the lowest they are available. Homeowner wants to assure they are getting a code compliant product. We are in Zone 5 with a U fact of .35 max underprescriptive but skylights are .60...How would you approach this, or are these really just a non compliant product in my zone under the prescriptive...this is not a new house where the perfomance(rescheck) method could be used.

"But so-and-so in such-and-such town just let me put a bunch of these in..."

Thanks rktect 1 - another person in my office was trying to find a garden window that met the u-value requirements and we weren't aware of this exception, like bgingras we are also in zone 5. Fredk - you are correct, the two garden windows thermal industries offer have a u-value of .30.