• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Gas Water Heater Vent Termination

dsmalloy

Good Afternoon,

Hopefully this is in the correct section, but I am trying to figure out the vent termination height for my atmospheric gas water heater. I've read the Fuel Gas Code and understand it depends on the size of the vent cap and the distance between a vertical wall or similar obstruction. My question is, does a portion of the roof count as similar obstruction? I've attached a photo of the house where the x marks where I want the vent to roughly come up (straight up from the water heater) and the black circle is the area where I'm not sure counts as obstruction or not. Thanks in advance for your help.
7YYCrcy

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, posting images is limited to those who have contributed to the forum (Sawhorses). You can always post a link to an image though.

Have you taken a look at the listing for the vent terminal/appliance? Often there are specific diagrams that depict the placement of the cap and its appropriate clearances.

Not sure why my post stopped but I have feeling it is because of the brackets I used? But if I right clicked on the IMG and selected view image it would show, not sure if it because I am the one who posted it or not. If you mean the listing for the vent terminal in the Fuel Gas Code I did, and just generally googled for some kind of diagram that was at least some what similar to what I had but they were all 2d and nothing really cleared my confusion. The manual didn't state roof clearances and seemed to be more of a generic clearances because it had sidewall termination information and my understanding is that is a big no no for natural draft water heaters.

atmospheric gas water heater

instant mount on the wall heater

Or

old school large tank??

What do you have now ???

12" from the roof surface to the underside of the vent cap on the uphill side. The vent, if serving a draft hood, shall be a minimum five feet in length. The circled area is not an obstruction.

12" from the roof surface to the underside of the vent cap on the uphill side. The vent, if serving a draft hood, shall be a minimum five feet in length. The circled area is not an obstruction.

Awesome, thank you very much.

atmospheric gas water heater

instant mount on the wall heater

Or

old school large tank??

What do you have now ???

It is a 50 gallon water heater, we are going from electric to natural gas, same size tank, just now have the pleasure to worry about venting. Everything else seemed obvious on how to vent it, just the termination part was throwing me off.

It is a 50 gallon water heater, we are going from electric to natural gas, same size tank, just now have the pleasure to worry about venting. Everything else seemed obvious on how to vent it, just the termination part was throwing me off.

I take it you are the homeowner?

Are those the type of questions you find (licensed) contractors asking?
Yes. And I am never surprised. Construction is the one profession where anyone can start at the top....and work their way down. It is the same way with inspectors. The profession is a mystery to many, if not most people and then the added quandary of the codes opens the door for charlatans.

Completely clueless with an authoritative persona is a path to success. I have been a silent witness for decades. My perspective is unique in that I have been on each side of the counter, both small and huge. Small cities and the largest metropolis. Not much difference between them. Hairdressers face more stringent regulation than do contractors. Get a few ICC certifications and it's like the Queen tapped you on the shoulder with a sword. Your castle awaits your arrival Sir Rantsalot.