• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

G'day from downunder

Hi everyone,

I'm glad I stumbled across this forum, as I am always trying to expand my knowledge on all things building code related.

From what I've seen so far it looks like a great community.

I am a fully qualified Building Surveyor(our term for Building Inspector) here in Australia.

I have worked in quite a few places in Oz and also spent a couple of years working in London, UK. As a Building Control Surveyor (UK version of your Building Inspector).

I hope to learn from you all, and am also very interested in exploring the possibility of moving to the US for a while to work in the field.

So any pointers are most welcome.

Cheers

Byron

A very big welcome to you and thank you for finding us an your future participation. You will see that we have a great community here and I hope we can help serve your needs.

Byron, welcome to the forum. This is a great place to be. I have family in Sydney and Perth. I also know a few Building Surveyors from there.

Folks, please don't forget that their sinks and toilets drain and flush in the opposite direction so who knows how this will affect their structural design!! ;)

jar546 said:
Folks, please don't forget that their sinks and toilets drain and flush in the opposite direction so who knows how this will affect their structural design!! ;)
They drain up???

Welcome aboard Aussie! Glad to have you join us, jump in, the water is fine! Regardless which way it swirls!

AussieInspector said:
I am a fully qualified Building Surveyor(our term for Building Inspector) here in Australia.
Welcome to the forum. Hang around here for a while and you will learn so much your peers will start referring to you as 'The Wissard of OZ'.

Sorry, it was there, had to use it. ;)

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome :)

I seem to recall the Simpsons covering the toilet flush direction.

Maybe I can get a government grant to pay my way to the US, to write up a report on the effects of the north vs south hemisphere on drainage systems in construction ;)

AussieInspector,

Welcome and G`Day from "up-over"! :D

QUESTION for you: Since Australia has its own Construction (Building) code, do you know

what codes have been adopted and are in use in New Zealand? I seem to recall them

adopting an ICC version.

Welcome,Is this are first non North American ???? On the forum
No! We have had discussions from others. "Peter Dow" was from Scotland, "Trey4U" was from

Afghanistan, "alan murphee" was from the United Kingdom, and now we have "tmurray" from Canada

just to mention a few.

[quote name=

QUESTION for you: Since Australia has its own Construction (Building) code, do you know

what codes have been adopted and are in use in New Zealand? I seem to recall them

adopting an ICC version.

Hi globe trekker, I'm not too sure on the New Zealand building code, they have a performance based code as we do here in Oz. I believe that they also have Approved Documents, which are a deemed to satisfy approach. i.e. gives methods for construction that have been proven to be sufficient, brickwork, stud framing etc.

I do know that they share some Australian Standards (similar to international standards, ISO) with us, they are prefixed with AS/NZS. Being a country with a relatively small population it makes sense for them to use either international, or Australian standards rather than reinvent the wheel.