• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Given green light on ⅝ now may need sprinklers

Cleanprofessionals

Greetings, I have an empty basement in 2 unit apt that I was in the process of converting the basement to a basement apt using fire rated ⅝ sheetrock on walls and ceilings and everywhere the eye could see. The basement is a walk out and so was moving forward with renovations and plumber and electrician work mostly finished and paid when the inspector mentioned that it might need to be sprinklered. I don't think it was a hard must and mentioned it in pushing mostly to cover himself in case ge neded to change his mind later. Where did that come from and is there a rebuttal in code I can comply with as is and proceed? Really appreciate the look. Thanks!

Once you go to 3 apartments it is typically considered "commercial" and out of the 1&2 family code.....Hire a professional in your area who knows the code....