• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Glass Egress Door Hardware Requirements

indyarchyguy

So I have a client utilizing a frameless glass door system. The door serves a training room with more than 50 occupants. The door does NOT latch. It is free swinging in the direction of travel. This is in Indiana so we are on the 2012 IBC with amendments. The designer wants to use vertical pulls on both sides of the door...and is refusing to use a horizontal on the push side. I originally said the horizontal is required because I don't want someone, running at full speed, hit the glass door and shatter it (yes, I know...pretty hard to do). It just seems to me the natural way to escape the room is pushing on the door and horizontal made the most sense. However, I cannot find ANY requirements that say you have to have it horizontal, let alone, have to have hardware at all. We have reviewed CH. 10 and Accessibility, but since there is no latch, it eliminates the panic requirements. The wall is not a rated assembly. Thoughts??

1. Agree with your common sense vs no code language.
2. Is door rated by mfg. as impact resistant?
5. 5lbs of force max. to operate?
4. Clear class or tinted? How is a sight impaired person to know if he/she is approaching a clear glass door with no cane detection at bottom?
5. A required "signed" exit , if not it would still be good to do so.
6. Horizontal bar alerts users but if no panic is required only accessible hardware is required.

No horizontal rail or bar required. Glass in doors are required to be safety glass. Glazed openings that are in hazardous areas are required to have safety glass, except, when a horizontal rail is provided that complies with the stipulated load, location, and size requirements.

Yep free swinging vertical allowed

Even with a horizontal bar, does not always mean that a person will use it.

If I know a door is free swinging, I will not use the door hardware, to include glass doors.

Last edited:
I don't see where you can require the panic hardware unless amended.

2012 IBC Section 1008.1.10. 50+ OL. Shall not be provided with a latch or lock unless it is panic hardware or fire exit hardware. So.. If the the designer want's pulls they can use pulls without latches unless you have amended the section requiring the PH..

Group A occupancy -use: (recreation)

Unless I'm missing something?

Some indication as to which way the door swings is a good idea. A handle would help with that.

Last edited:
I don't see where you can require the panic hardware unless amended.

2012 IBC Section 1008.1.10. 50+ OL. Shall not be provided with a latch or lock unless it is panic hardware or fire exit hardware. So.. If the the designer want's pulls they can use pulls without latches unless you have amended the section requiring the PH..

Group A occupancy -use: (recreation)

Unless I'm missing something?

My view was not that you were required to have a panic...was that in my "safety conscious" opinion, that you should provide a "horizontal"-oriented hardware element in order to hit the bar when in a panic. Since the door does not latch or lock, then I thought it would make sense the bar be horizontal to push outward easier in lieu of slamming against the tempered glass door. Again, my opinion on trying to be more safe. Since the code is silent on this, my client is going to provide the doors with vertical push and pull elements per the designers requirements.

My view was not that you were required to have a panic...was that in my "safety conscious" opinion, that you should provide a "horizontal"-oriented hardware element in order to hit the bar when in a panic. Since the door does not latch or lock, then I thought it would make sense the bar be horizontal to push outward easier in lieu of slamming against the tempered glass door. Again, my opinion on trying to be more safe. Since the code is silent on this, my client is going to provide the doors with vertical push and pull elements per the designers requirements.

Ask / email the door guru???

https://idighardware.com/about-2/

If it is glass, do you want everyone touching the glass and leaving smudges? A bar would be cleaner and provide a discernible feature to let occupants know that it is in fact a door.

Watch out for:

1010.1 Doors. Means of egress doors shall meet the requirements
of this section. Doors serving a means of egress system
shall meet the requirements of this section and Section
1022.2. Doors provided for egress purposes in numbers
greater than required by this code shall meet the requirements
of this section.
Means of egress doors shall be readily distinguishable
from the adjacent construction and finishes such that the
doors are easily recognizable as doors.
Mirrors or similar
reflecting materials shall not be used on means of egress
doors. Means of egress doors shall not be concealed by curtains,
drapes, decorations or similar materials.