• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Glenn Mathewson Article on Code requirements for outdoor kitchens

The picture has receptacles in the backsplash. There is no cover. While an in use cover would certainly ruin the aesthetics.... a dead person would hardly be an improvement.

[RB] KITCHEN. Kitchen shall mean an area used, or designated
to be used, for the preparation of food.

I like to cook at my fire pit sometimes. Looks like my back yard is defined as a kitchen.

Since in most places in PA you only need a permit if there is something structural going on in houses I never get to inspect outdoor kitchens.

Good spot on the deck ledger flashing...I am sure if it was a deck article Glenn wouldn't have let that one in.....It looks like there is a roof over the counters so it might just be a damp location not wet so they might get a pass on in use (in older codes)....And it is GFCI so it really won't kill anyone or else why would we be putting them everywhere now?