• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Go ahead. Tear it apart.

MASSDRIVER

A pleasurable day of installing a water heater.
ecc76d0da4a50a9b8366408cfca6046a.jpg
5e43ead7c467f8882acca8058b82cd94.jpg

Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at that insulation!!! The Green police would be so happy!....I tried to get 3" B vent the other day for my garage heater and the supply house doesn't even stock it anymore around here....

Is there a drain pipe connected to the smitty pan?

There is no p-trap on the coil condensate drain and what about the secondary? Come to think of it, the furnace might need a condensate drain too.

Is the duct tape covering a bullet hole?

I see that the missing door is weather stipped....what have you got going on for combustion air?

And by the way, four inches is just about the width of your hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
~ ~ & ~ ~

Brent,

Reckon where the pan & T & P valve drain line actually drain to ?

Us Code Police are on the case. :grin:

~ ~ & ~ ~

Pulls its air from a grate in front of the furnace from the crawl space.

Got the pan drain and blowoff going directly outside, turndown with 6" clearance above grade. The old blowoff went right into the crawl.

Redid the insulation on pipes today because I thought my little helper did a shltty job. Looks no e and clean now, and leveled that strap. All the traps and drains are good on the fau.

Brent

The insulation is a remnant. The whole b vent was wrapped and duct taped for some unknown reason.

I cleaned it off of course.

Brent.

If the gas company certifies their product as "dry" then a drip leg is not required.

A drip leg is required more often then sediment traps.

Just trying to get others on here to think about what we may be requiring that may not be applicable in certain areas

I tend to not approve transitions from single wall to B vent without the correct fitting... especially when the appliance is indoors. In this case there is a significant gap that will act like another draft hood. Generally, leaks aren't a big deal since they aid the flow of hot gasses but it can get to be too much cold air getting in.

Last edited by a moderator:
mtlogcabin said:
If the gas company certifies their product as "dry" then a drip leg is not required.A drip leg is required more often then sediment traps.

Just trying to get others on here to think about what we may be requiring that may not be applicable in certain areas
Based upon 2012IRC, my understanding is that a sediment trap is always required, other than the specific appliance exceptions (ranges, clothes dryer, etc). And - the sed trap should be installed at a vertical to horizontal transition - not as shown on in the pic.

View attachment 1130

I agreeG2419.1 (408.1) Slopes.Piping for other than dry gas conditions shall be sloped not less than 0.25 inch in 15 feet (6.4 mm in 4572 mm) to prevent traps.G2419.2 (408.2) Drips.Where wet gas exists, a drip shall be provided at any point in the line of pipe where condensate could collect. A drip shall also be provided at the outlet of the meter and shall be installed so as to constitute a trap wherein an accumulation of condensate will shut off the flow of gas before the condensate will run back into the meter.G2419.3 (408.3) Location of drips.Drips shall be provided with ready access to permit cleaning or emptying. A drip shall not be located where the condensate is subject to freezing.G2419.4 (408.4) Sediment trap.Where a sediment trap is not incorporated as part of the appliance, a sediment trap shall be installed downstream of the appliance shutoff valve as close to the inlet of the appliance as practical. The sediment trap shall be either a tee fitting having a capped nipple of any length installed vertically in the bottommost opening of the tee as illustrated in Figure G2419.4 or other device approved as an effective sediment trap. Illuminating appliances, ranges, clothes dryers, decorative vented appliances for installation in vented fireplaces, gas fireplaces, and outdoor grills need not be so equipped.View attachment 1130

/monthly_2015_01/sediemnt.JPG.9fdd1e703d8ab15f4cbf28e8e87191f4.JPG

G2419.3 (408.3) Location of drips.

Drips shall be provided with ready access to permit cleaning or emptying. A drip shall not be located where the condensate is subject to freezing.

I ran into that one on a RTU the GAS line never entered the building and it was subject to freezing.

pc1

Pcinspector1 said:
G2419.3 (408.3) Location of drips.Drips shall be provided with ready access to permit cleaning or emptying. A drip shall not be located where the condensate is subject to freezing.

I ran into that one on a RTU the GAS line never entered the building and it was subject to freezing.

pc1
I have seen entire strip malls done with all of the piping exterior and it has never been an issue (20yrs or so).....That being said....I do not allow it in new installs.....Unless someone wants to wrestle a letter out of the utility....

Darren Emery said:
Based upon 2012IRC, my understanding is that a sediment trap is always required, other than the specific appliance exceptions (ranges, clothes dryer, etc). And - the sed trap should be installed at a vertical to horizontal transition - not as shown on in the pic.
CA 2013 CPC has similar requirements.1210.8.3 Sediment Traps. The installation of sedimenttraps shall comply with Section 1211.8. [NFPA 54-12:7.6.3]1211.8 Sediment Trap. Where a sediment trap is not incor-porated as a part of the appliance, a sediment trap shall be in-stalled downstream of the appliance shutoff valve as close tothe inlet of the appliance as practical at the time of applianceinstallation. The sediment trap shall be either a tee fitting witha capped nipple in the bottom outlet, as illustrated in Figure1211.8, or other device recognized as an effective sedimenttrap. Illuminating appliances, ranges, clothes dryers, decora-tive appliances for installation in vented fireplaces, gas fire- and outdoor grills shall not be required to be so[NFPA 54:9.6.7]View attachment 1131

View attachment 1131

/monthly_2015_01/572953d4cb05d_1211-8trap.JPG.4d296829daa80d8232830ed6fb019e2f.JPG

Go ahead. Tear it apart.

Well, because some of you overly anal mofo's pointed out my complete disregard for the pluming codes and had multiple anurisms over my badly assembled debris trap, I took the time today to revisit the last few water heaters I installed and orient the trap the correct damn way, even though they passed inspection. I made sure the one I did today was up to y'all's unrealistic expectations.

77f1f3883a985e9c6c80c1a2b379a11d.jpg

Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be a bonus if there were a gas shutoff valve. Sticking one on the cold water isn't a bad idea either.