• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

grade plane

vero123

Hello, I have a question

I have a building with three stories, one of which is a basement and two others are first floor above grade plane and second floor above grade plane (please see the attached file). The building is served with one interior exit stairway and exit discharge is at basement floor level. All floors meet the requirements of table 1021.2(2) about occupancy, maximum occupants per story and maximum exit access travel distance. My question is about how permissible do you find that the building is served with one exit, As per me if the building meet all the definitions according to IBC 2012 table 1021.2(2) the use of a single exit must be permitted (because the building has only one basement floor and two floors above the grade plane).

Your opinion on this matter is very important to me.

No attached file

you have to be a Sawhorse forum supporting person to direct upload

or make the item a link and post the link

Hello, I have a question

I have a building with three stories, one of which is a basement and two others are first floor above grade plane and second floor above grade plane (please see the attached file). The building is served with one interior exit stairway and exit discharge is at basement floor level. All floors meet the requirements of table 1021.2(2) about occupancy, maximum occupants per story and maximum exit access travel distance. My question is about how permissible do you find that the building is served with one exit, As per me if the building meet all the definitions according to IBC 2012 table 1021.2(2) the use of a single exit must be permitted (because the building has only one basement floor and two floors above the grade plane).

Your opinion on this matter is very important to me.

Is your question, If a building meets code with only one exit,,, Is that ok??!

/
sCkSRv4

Is your question, If a building meets code with only one exit,,, Is that ok??!

Your link in post #5 works.
That’s a pretty good grade change, if part of the second floor is at dirt level, and part of the basement is too.

Interesting situation. I think your grade plane is probably a bit higher than what you show, but I don't think it will change the floor levels from what you show.

A couple of questions:
  1. Is the interior "exit" stair enclosed with 1-hour fire barriers and door openings?
  2. Does the stair discharge directly to the exterior or into an exit passageway that discharges to the exterior?
If you can answer "yes" to both of these, then I think you'll be okay. If the answer to the first one is "no," then you do not have an "exit" stairway, but rather an "exit access" stairway and it must comply with Section 1009.3. Even then, your common path of egress travel may exceed 75 feet. If the answer to the second one is "no," then the stairway does not comply with Section 1027.1 for exit discharge requirements.