• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Grading of Lot (Drainage) on Final Inspection

Mule

Platinum Member
How many of you guys check the drainage of the lot to verify compliance with the drainage plan? Usually the lots are already benched, swalls cut, berms and so on.

In our jurisdiction we require drainage plans while the builder is in the platting process. All of the lots are graded to that drainage plan prior to permits being issued.

Where the problem comes in is the code requires positive drainage away from the foundation. The builder brings in fill to elevate the foundation to provide positive drainage away from the foundation.

At this point the structure is "to code". There is no requirement for grass, so the builders call for a final. The only thing we (the inspection department) can require at this point, and it just an interpretation we have on erosion, is that we have to protect the drainage system from infiltration from erosion. We require the ROW to either have grass or curlex to protect from erosion.

The builder calls for a final, the grading plan is "to code" per the approved drainage plans, the grass is in for erosion. All is good. Then after the tag..the builder does some grading, changing the way the lot drains all all that stuff. Once a final is given, it is tee total heck getting the builder to fix anything.

How do ya'll handle this before it gets to be a problem?

Re: Grading of Lot (Drainage) on Final Inspection

Mule said:
How many of you guys check the drainage of the lot to verify compliance with the drainage plan? Usually the lots are already benched, swalls cut, berms and so on.In our jurisdiction we require drainage plans while the builder is in the platting process. All of the lots are graded to that drainage plan prior to permits being issued.

Where the problem comes in is the code requires positive drainage away from the foundation. The builder brings in fill to elevate the foundation to provide positive drainage away from the foundation.

At this point the structure is "to code". There is no requirement for grass, so the builders call for a final. The only thing we (the inspection department) can require at this point, and it just an interpretation we have on erosion, is that we have to protect the drainage system from infiltration from erosion. We require the ROW to either have grass or curlex to protect from erosion.

The builder calls for a final, the grading plan is "to code" per the approved drainage plans, the grass is in for erosion. All is good. Then after the tag..the builder does some grading, changing the way the lot drains all all that stuff. Once a final is given, it is tee total heck getting the builder to fix anything.

How do ya'll handle this before it gets to be a problem?
If the grading plan has been inspected why is there more grading permitted?

Really not permitted, just happens. "Final touches" that tends to become a nightmare.

The grading is just rough grading before sod. They bring in a load or two of top soil and spread it for sod after a final. They rearranged how the lot originally was graded.

I have a sitution now where we have a builder graded the lot so most of the water that was supposed to go towards the front, now for some reason it goes to the rear. grass is in and home is occupied. Neighbor in back of the property is getting flooded.

The reason I posted this was more or less to see if you guys require all of the sod to be placed prior to final. We haven't had a problem until now with this builder. All of a sudden he starts doing crazy stuff!

Mule,

2006 IRC, R401.3; Surface drainage (the surface is - The outer or the topmost boundary of an object. A material layer constituting such a boundary.) The sod/grass is the "surface" of the yard/lot. They must have the final "surface" installed prior to C of O.. That's how we handled it. No sod, No final. :)

6" slope away from foundation for the first 10'. Swales (where required) shall be sloped 2% (in the direction of flow for the entire length to it's termanation at the lot edge); and shall ensure drainage away from the building.

The 2006 also; requires all impervious surfaces, such as porches, patios, sidewalks; or any other impervious surface within 10' of the foundation to be sloped 2% away from the foundation.

Uncle Bob

I agree with UB we handle it in the same manner, however we click a digital pic attach it to the parcel, issue the CO and called it a day. :mrgreen:

There have been plenty of cases where people alter a drainage course with landscaping. There is no code requirement for what the finish grade surface shall be, ie. sod, concrete, stones, etc. So in the cases where a civil engineer provides a statement that the final grade has been achieved, it can be bare dirt or whatever. If the owner now adds to the finished surface and creates a situation where the neighbor is adversely impacted it is a civil matter.

Most of the cases reported to me involved established properties where a homeowner has added hard-scape that drains on an adjacent lot or excessive irrigation.

Because there are some pretty awesome lakes and rivers in our jurisdiction, we have a pretty extensive site disturbance ordinance. If the site is determined to be hazardous (by inspection checklist) regarding the control of storm water run-off issues, a storm water management plan is required, with a seperate site disturbance permit. Generally it must be prepared by a registered engineer or landscape architect. They are required to visit the site before, in the winter is if it isn't finalled to make sure the BMP's are in place, and at the end for compliance with the approved plan. Each visit requires a sealed and signed letter stating compliance with their design. In addition, our land use planners visit the site at the end to also verify compliance. There are some very serious watch dog groups that make darn sure this gets done.

Because we have real winter here, it is common to defer final on the site disturnace until after the structure has been finalled and a CO issued. The building inspectors make sure that there is the required 6" in 10 ' slope away for code reuirements at final for the building permit.

Our zoning code requires the lot to be seeded or sodded prior to final. We make the builder place a deposit during times of bad weather.

We have very little planning, no permits and no enforcement. What a nightmare and headach every spring! We are working on it. Hope to have something in place by the summer of 2010. We are definitly behind the cruve on this issue.

This thread/topic is an excellent example of why this group and the "old ICC Bulletin Board" is so important.

We have an important code question, with comment; from Texas; and, code quotes, answers, and what is being done concerning this topic; from communities throughout the United States (Illlinois, Oklahoma, Utah, California, Washington State, North Dakota, Missouri, and Wyoming) with more to come.

You cannot find this kind of information conserning the codes, anywhere else on the Internet; or from such a diverse group of experts and professionals, throughout the United States.

This is what we are all about; and this is why this Bulletin Board and Group are so very important.

And, it's free and open to all,

Uncle Bob

Homeowners do as much damage as the contractor after we're gone. Having a landscape ordinance which requires "X"% of the lot being sodded (not seeded) helps control it..

jpranch said:
We have very little planning, no permits and no enforcement. What a nightmare and headach every spring! We are working on it. Hope to have something in place by the summer of 2010. We are definitly behind the cruve on this issue.
jp -

I know this song! My current boss has been resurrecting the city codes and ordinances. We are slowly slogging ahead and making some headway. What makes it more difficult here is that there is the 'good old boy' network coupled with the frontier spirit of self-sufficiency. Hang in there, it will get better.......... ;)

Mule -

My boss or the assistant director now goes out and checks the curb & gutter, lighting, landscaping (or lack thereof), and drainage, etc. before we give them a final CofO.

Sue

Sue, Thanks for the information you sent me. Ya, we are behind. But it's all good. It all takes time and we will get there. I guess I'm very lucky in that after 4 1/2 years here I can say that there is no "good old boy" going on here. Even with that, one step at a time will get us to where we should be. OR the fed's will push us there? :lol:

Mule, over here in Keller, we require full sod at final. In fact we have a seperate drainage final inspection completed by our public works inspector that must pass before they can even request a building final. And like someone posted earlier, they allow a deposit if weather is too bad to place sod so that they can move forward to the building final. Colleyville requires an "as-built" survey at final with grade elevations. If they get drainage complaints after the final, they use that "as-built" to determine if changes where made after city approval. I thought that was a good idea.

Thanks everyone. Lots of good information. Looks like we've got a bit of chnagin' to do. As stated earlier, this has really never been a problem until recently.

So ok. Who is checking the proposed plats of survey to the overall grading plan for the subdivisions? I just got nailed on one of these. I ok'd the proposed plat. T/F and apparently the grade as well. As it turned out they changed grade on one job site. What I saw on the proposed plat was t/f at 668.0 and f/g at 668.5 and the spot plat came back as such as well. The proposed plat even showed the contour lines. I failed to check this against the original grading plan. They modified the grading on the plat after talking to someone in the village department. Now it is a small issue as they have brought grade in the rear of this house up about 3 feet :roll: for the patio which backs to a pretty major road. So who normally is supposed to check plats for grading conformance?

No. After all it's a desert here. With 7 inches a year what little rain is usually less than an inch at a time.

Subdivisions are graded as a rule flat and what would have been any grade is directed to runoff retention basins. Other larger lots are have washes running on some portion of the lot and they're not allowed to build within 25 ft of a wash and most of that land would nauturally slope toward it.

not a real good answer.. if you require the final grading at the rough inspection stage (like that will ever happen), you may be able to identify problems before they start.

Think you're unpopular now? Require the sod to be torn up and the lot regraded because they failed the final inspection.

The Civil Inspection Group takes care of Subdivision drainage, Residential Inspectors check to make sure that water drains away from the residence and out to the proper drainage course because of the expansive soils. Individual properties 1/2 acre or more submit a G&D plan showing flow/swales/riprap etc. We requires the engineer of record to seal as built elevations of retention and swales etc.

After final Homeowners are responsible to maintain it but it is a civil issue when they redesign their drainage and it causes damage to other property owners.