• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Greetings From Newbie with a Porch / Hand Railing Question

SSchultz

Greetings! Nice to see there's a forum for building code inspection questions. Can someone please point me to the correct forum to ask a question about porch & hand railings? I had a contractor build a new house approximately 6 months ago, and have a few questions about adherence to code. One issue is the porch and handrails which I'm told should have skeletons inside & none of them do.

Thanks so much in advance!

= = = =

SSchultz,

Welcome to The Building Codes Forum ! :cool:

Which Code & edition is being used where this
new house was built ?

= = = =

Greetings! Nice to see there's a forum for building code inspection questions. Can someone please point me to the correct forum to ask a question about porch & hand railings? I had a contractor build a new house approximately 6 months ago, and have a few questions about adherence to code. One issue is the porch and handrails which I'm told should have skeletons inside & none of them do.

Welcome,
Pictures will facilitate intelligent answers.

If you have a couple of pictures, and you can convert then to a link.

You can post the link.,

Or pay a little and become a full "sawhorse" support the site and post pictures, just by uploading them.

What is a "skeleton", in relation to stairs? Is it a Stringer?
upload_2018-3-19_6-55-2.png

Last edited:
Support inside the railings, I'm guessing? Aluminum rails?

Never heard of that term "Skeleton" in reference to deck building?

Please provide additional information!

I am thinking the ball rule?? No barrier in the railing??
B008_figF_lg.gif

How high off the ground is the porch?
How many risers?

"...walking surface which is more than 30 inches above the floor or grade below shall have guards..."

• Less than 30" does not need Guards
  • IRC requires a handrail on at least one side of stairs with four or more risers

Last edited:
What is a "skeleton", in relation to stairs? Is it a Stringer?
View attachment 2799

No, it's a PVC rail, and I'm questioning if the posts to support the rails are supposed to be hollow. I looked at the neighbors and they have metal "skeltons" inside that appear to support the post. As soon as I can figure out how to upload photos, I will. I'm a "sawhorse" now :)

No, it's a PVC rail, and I'm questioning if the posts to support the rails are supposed to be hollow. I looked at the neighbors and they have metal "skeltons" inside that appear to support the post. As soon as I can figure out how to upload photos, I will. I'm a "sawhorse" now :)
That is not going to be required by code per se. What the code will outline is a performance standard. If you fall into the guard/rail, will it stop you? Check for a listing or manufacturers installation guide.

Yea, a convert!!

Thank you for supporting this poor code interpetations board!!!!

That is not going to be required by code per se. What the code will outline is a performance standard. If you fall into the guard/rail, will it stop you? Check for a listing or manufacturers installation guide.

Ok thanks! When my 'sawhorse' status is updated, I'll post some photos just because.

I think the question is does there need to be some metal structure inside of these PVC posts and rails? That would be dependent on the manufacturer I would guess, but there are some loads that the system needs to resist for code. I wanna say 200lbs applied perpendicular at top of railing. Height of deck above grade needs to be considered as well.

Whether the porch railing and handrails are required or not the code should not authorize for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provision of the code in accordance with Section [A] 105.2

Six months is likely within the statute of limitation and suggests contacting the Director of Building Inspection for further details.

The Building Official may issue a Notice of Violation to the contractor responsible to respond with corrections.

Link to City of Sun Prairie Building Inspection: https://www.cityofsunprairie.com/199/New-1-2-Family-Dwellings