• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ground rod & more

ICE

Oh Well
Every time that I encounter this company they do something dumb. I misspoke... they do several dumb things. I haven't been able to convince them that a ground rod is not a required item as part of an equipotential bonding grid.

I know the electrician that wired the pool equipment. He knows better than to leave the A/C condenser fused disconnect where it is. He is waiting to see if I care.

Last edited by a moderator:
See that a lot. I think it makes it more likely for lighting to hit it and if someone was in the pool at the time they could get zapped. I make them disconnect the ground rod.

A couple of other things I see;

Motor case connector may not be installed correctly

Ground rod connectors shouldn't be used for wire splice

What is the blanked meter box being used for?

This link video from Mike Holt explain the hazard of auxiliary electrode.

The inspectors in this area do not believe the disconnect for the a/c needs the typical clearance . Generally a disconnect without fuses does not need general maintenance. As long as you can get to it to disconnect the unit it should be okay

Dennis said:
The inspectors in this area do not believe the disconnect for the a/c needs the typical clearance . Generally a disconnect without fuses does not need general maintenance. As long as you can get to it to disconnect the unit it should be okay
If there are no fuses or cicuit breaker then no working space is required. This topic has been hashed out here in the past and I was resoundingly shouted down with the consensus being that a disconnect is always required to have working space. That's why I highlighted the word fused in the OP.

Dennis said:
That doesn't look like a wp time clock to me.
The door is gasketed and the label says that it is listed for use with swimming pools. I'll get pictures. I probably already have pictures as this has been a problem with this company in the past. They really are the worst. They bootleg mostly so I have to deal with some of the damnedest things. They will put a pool anywhere you want without considering easements or property lines and buildings. If I asked them to put a pool in the middle of the street they would say, "No problem but we will have to do it overnight"

Last edited by a moderator:
ICE; if these pirates are so bad, why haven't they been turned in to the Contractor's Board? You may have enough photos and documentation to show a blatant disregard for obtaining required permits and incompetent work. It is rare, but there are a few Contractors that really should be put out of business.

Rick18071 said:
See that a lot. I think it makes it more likely for lighting to hit it and if someone was in the pool at the time they could get zapped. I make them disconnect the ground rod.
Rick, Not picking on you, but how would a ground rod increase that chance? If you have copper touching earth as it is, that's a lot of surface connection to potential energy right there. It seems the ground rod would not increase the chance of a lightning hit. And if lightning did hit, would that not therby increase the chance of channeling the energy into the ground past the bond?

Is there some evidence that supports your assertion?

School me.

Brent