• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Headroom below ductwork on a non habitable cellar

Yayi Colombo

Hi Guys,
Hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday.

Im proposing new ductwork on the non habitable cellar of a 1 family dwelling. The ceiling height is 6'-10" the proposed duct is going to be 8"x18" high which is going to bring the headroom directly under it to 6'-2" - as per 2020 RC of NYS R305.1 exception 3 "Beams, girders, ducts or other obstructions in basements containing habitable space shall be permitted to project to within 6 feet 4 inches (1931 mm) of the finished floor."

im not habitable so this is not applicable to my condition but, is there anyway else i should look at for a minimum headroom since you need to traverse under it from one storage area to another?

Thank you in advance.

sorry, forgot to mention that there is already a timber jost spaning between the 2 storage rooms bringing the headheight between the storage spaces to 6'-2" thats why i kept the height of the duct at 8" instad of 6" (to give you the 6'-4")