• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Help with Table 2902.1 (419.2 IPC) & Occupancy Load Question

tbz

Silver Member
So, calculating water closets and lavatories required is new to me when the building could possible hold more with a change of use group.

And I wanting to make sure I am reading the table correctly, and if not, be corrected.

So, I have an A-3 Rec Hall/ Lecture Hall it notes water closets 1 per 125 males and 1 per 65 females with a lavatory of 1 per 200.

The current occupancy load is based on 1 per 50 square feet on the plans (102) and table 1004.1.2 allows for more staying within A-3, but when built the number of lavatories was only 2 single unisex units.

If I have 2 single unit unisex (ADA/ABA compliant) lavatories does this mean my maximum occupancy load is based on 2 times the female limit of 65 per lavatory for 130 maximum occupancies in the building?

The reason for my question is how does one regulate how many of each sex, if we can even ask anymore, come in a building?

Or can the maximum occupancy load be figured at 65+125 for 190 because there are two lavatories, even though they are designated that way?

I hope I am explaining my question correctly.

The codes are much slower than society in realzing we should do away with gender based bathrooms. Traditionaly women take longer to use the restroom than men so more fixtureres are proveided to women to speed the line along.

The Occupant Load is determined by Chapter 10 not the amount of plumbing fixtures in an existing facility

[P] 2902.1.1 Fixture calculations.
To determine the occupant load of each sex, the total occupant load shall be divided in half. To determine the required number of fixtures, the fixture ratio or ratios for each fixture type shall be applied to the occupant load of each sex in accordance with Table 2902.1. Fractional numbers resulting from applying the fixture ratios of Table 2902.1 shall be rounded up to the next whole number. For calculations involving multiple occupancies, such fractional numbers for each occupancy shall first be summed and then rounded up to the next whole number

This is an existing building correct? I do not know how you are using an OL of 50 for an A-3 use. The existing building code permits an increased OL without having to provide more fixtures.
2018 IEBC
809.1 Minimum fixtures.
Where the occupant load of the story is increased by more than 20 percent, plumbing fixtures for the story shall be provided in quantities specified in the International Plumbing Code based on the increased occupant load.

I have 4 or 5 occupant loads that I can take it to, however I only have 2 single lavatories in the building and don't want to have to renovate a thing. Thus they might go for a change in UG, but I need to figure out the maximum occupancy for 2 single lavatories.

My be this is a better way of going at the question.

If I have 2 existing lavatories only, no renovation, whats the maximum A-3 or A-2 you can have