• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Here you go Boys and Girls: ICC calls for input on changes to the building codes

mark handler

SAWHORSE
Here you go Boys and Girls
Time for all your fixes and fantasies:

ICC calls for input on changes to the building codes
International Code Council is hosting its 2019 Committee Action Hearings from April 28 to May 8, 2019, in Albuquerque, N.M. Hearing participants will address potential changes to the International Codes (I-Codes) based on proposals from the building safety community, including code officials, architects, builders, engineers, and fire and energy conservation professionals, among others
https://www.iccsafe.org/building-sa...ail&utm_content=190321-bsj-f&utm_campaign=bsj

Curious if plan designers or plan reviewers like the added tables and if they are helpful? I heard that the 2018 IBC had a few more tables in an effort to make the code easier to use or less confusing? Is there any truth to this?

fatboy, I like your proposal, are there any other terms or situations other than a cantilever, deck or porch that we can think of or a term that means the same thing? (soffit or overhang?) I think cantilever covers most issues meeting that criteria.

Nice work and supportive of your effort!

Also the process, is this proposed change on a form provided by the ICC or is it required to be? Do you actually have to go to the hearing and present the change?

Maybe jpranch can shadow your proposal and help us all with the process, we might all learn something?

I think cantilever would be the best word because it would cover any cantilever, so soffits and other overhangs would be included as well. The only thing that would not be included would be things that are supported, like decks.

I agree, cantilever fits the bill, just wanted to make sure some smart guy doesn't say a cantilever's an a soffit are to different animals?

And that were thinking of other obstructions that prevent you from exiting?

What about an addition or a sunroom that was built on piers over a ERRO? A deck, porch and cantilever would not cover that.
I don't like using the word porch since it is not defined in the code.

Actually, proposed changes for the 2021 Group B Codes were due 1/14/2019. Only the code sections that had proposals submitted in January are on the table in these committee hearings.

Also the process, is this proposed change on a form provided by the ICC or is it required to be? Do you actually have to go to the hearing and present the change?

The changes are submitted on-line through the ICC web page, cdpAcess. No, you don't have to be present, but it might help if the committee members have questions or you need to rebut a statement made by an opponent.

After the committee hearings there will be a public comment period where you can have input (suggest amendments) to the results of the hearing. These are then voted on by governmental members of ICC at the September Final Action Hearings and become code. If your jurisdiction is not already an ICC member, you have until this Friday March 29th, 2019 to join.

Actually, proposed changes for the 2021 Group B Codes were due 1/14/2019. Only the code sections that had proposals submitted in January are on the table in these committee hearings.

Roger, that's what I'm talking about, there is a process and a lot of us need a little guidance when proposing a code change, I was hoping someone would shadow fatboy's code change for us.

Thanks for your attention to detail!

fatboy, I like your proposal, are there any other terms or situations other than a cantilever, deck or porch that we can think of or a term that means the same thing? (soffit or overhang?) I think cantilever covers most issues meeting that criteria.

Nice work and supportive of your effort!

Maybe jpranch can shadow your proposal and help us all with the process, we might all learn something?

Thanks all, I have amended it locally since the 2006 cycle, finally this cycle decided to try it in a code change.

Yes, you have to put the proposed change in through cdpAccess.

You HAVE to be there, but it helps if you go and pitch your own, a couple cycles back I had a change that I wanted to bring the language over from the IBC for opposed rafters at the ridge. American Wood Council said they would oppose it unless I agreed to the 1 1/2" max offset, so we co-authored a floor modification, so that's why you see that language now. If I would not have been there, might not have got what I got.

I'll let you all know what happens.

Over 5500 proposed changes just in Group B. 3318 changes in Group A last year. How can the codes be so broken 9 years after consolidation?.

I don't consider them "broke".

Folks, like me, think that perhaps it needs a tweak, or 5500.......;)

If you have never been there, industry brings a lot of them, HBA, Concrete, Steel, Foam Plastics......

I have testified at Code Development Hearings and Final Action Hearings for ICC:

Portland, OR March 2001

Pittsburgh, PA April 2002

Fort Worth, TX October 2002

Overland Park, KS May 2004

Nashville, TN September 2004

Cincinnati, OH February 2005

Detroit, MI September 2005

Lake Buena Vista, FL September 2006

Palm Springs, CA February 2008

Minneapolis, MN September 2008

I had to give it up when the hearings started lasting 2 weeks. The only people that can afford to go are those on somebody else's dime.

Nicely done, I started the the same hearing you stopped on, Minneapolis in 2008, the infamous sprinkle hearings. And, the energy code push. I just pick the ones that are important to me. IRC-B this go-round, 5 day trip, 4 days of hearings.