• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

High rise fire and life safety systems

johnniekayak

Hello I'm new to this forum but hoping I can get some answers.
I've been scouring the national building code of Canada looking for fire ratings. I need to know when I have to use 2 hour fire rated cable in a 23 storey building with a 2 hour rated riser shaft.
Fire alarm cables, emergency distribution cables or cables from the generator to the ATS for the fire pump?

Welcome

I think there is one person that speaks north of the border on the forum,

Plus sense the code book is not online

If it is in a rated riser, you do not need to rate the cable itself.

I think Manitoba is still on the 2010 NBCC...

I'm guessing the building must be of non-combustible construction. In that case look at 3.1.5.18. for requirements of wires and cables.

Typically, you just need to firestop the cable where it breaches the rated separation.

Specific requirements for the fire alarm system will be in CAN/ULC-S524. Fire pumps is NFPA 20.

thx for the info I found the rules I needed.
Underground to the 2hr rated shafts or 2hr fire rated room where the fire pump and ATS are located can be run in pvc(DBII) no fire rating required. Is this assumption correct?

thx for the info I found the rules I needed.
Underground to the 2hr rated shafts or 2hr fire rated room where the fire pump and ATS are located can be run in pvc(DBII) no fire rating required. Is this assumption correct?
For a non-metallic raceway, look at 3.1.5.20. to make sure your product meets the required testing criteria.