• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

hire an electrician

ICE

Oh Well
The electrical equipment associated with swimming pools is about as important as it gets when it comes to residential electrical. Water, electricity plus naked people and we let anybody with a pulse to do the work. Whenever I'm around water, electricity and naked people I have a pretty good pulse.

I barely feel comfortable inspecting electrical work and I have to deal with people that will risk killing someone for a lousy dollar. I look at what this guy did and think he is arrogant.

This is a post base within 5' of the pool. Another inspector wrote a correction to bond it at the pre-gunite inspection.

What didn't happen is the perimeter bonding or the water bonding. I am there for a pre-plaster inspection. Of course the contractor is upset because "we waited until now" to tell him about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
ICE said:
The electrical equipment associated with swimming pools is about as important as it gets when it comes to residential electrical. Water, electricity plus naked people and we let anybody with a pulse to do the work. Whenever I'm around water, electricity and naked people I have a pretty good pulse. I barely feel comfortable inspecting electrical work and I have to deal with people that will risk killing someone for a lousy dollar. I look at what this guy did and think he is arrogant.

This is a post base within 5' of the pool. Another inspector wrote a correction to bond it at the pre-gunite inspection.

What didn't happen is the perimeter bonding or the water bonding. I am there for a pre-plaster inspection. Of course the contractor is upset because "we waited until now" to tell him about that.
What are we actually looking at? It appears to be 2 6xs with a steel plate joining them.

jar546 said:
And the purpose of the ground is???????????????
It's technically not a ground but is part of the equipotential bonding grid. We bond such metal that is within five feet of the water's edge. The problem with it is that the lug is installed with a self tapping sheet metal screw and the paint wasn't removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
680.26 Equipotential Bonding.(A) Performance.

The equipotential bonding required by this section shall be installed to reduce voltage gradients in the pool area.

(B) Bonded Parts.

The parts specified in 680.26(B)(1) through (B)(7) shall be bonded together using solid copper conductors, insulated covered, or bare, not smaller than 8 AWG or with rigid metal conduit of brass or other identified corrosion-resistant metal.

(7) Metal Wiring Methods and Equipment.

Metal-sheathed cables and raceways, metal piping, and all fixed metal parts shall be bonded.

Exception No. 1: Those separated from the pool by a permanent barrier shall not be required to be bonded.

Exception No. 2: Those greater than 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally of the inside walls of the pool shall not be required to be bonded.

Exception No. 3: Those greater than 3.7 m (12 ft) measured vertically above the maximum water level of the pool, or as measured vertically above any observation

stands, towers, or platforms, or any diving structures, shall not be required to be bonded.
If the items mentioned in section 680.26 are at the same voltage, there can't be a transfer of electrons. In other words, you can't get a shock. If the items are connected to each other, they will be at the same voltage.