• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

historic home not accepting the vinyl windows

suetorres24

purchased a home in 2017. tried working with the city. the city gave me the run around for three years not knowing what information they needed. got an attorney he was able to get the city off my back. now that the attorney retired doesnt want help me out. so now the city is once again harrassing me about my windows during these hard times. ive contacted several attorney and due to the fact its statue of limitations. meaning i waitied to long so i dont know if ill be able to do anything. need help im stuck in this nightmare

purchased a home in 2017. tried working with the city. the city gave me the run around for three years not knowing what information they needed. got an attorney he was able to get the city off my back. now that the attorney retired doesnt want help me out. so now the city is once again harrassing me about my windows during these hard times. ive contacted several attorney and due to the fact its statue of limitations. meaning i waitied to long so i dont know if ill be able to do anything. need help im stuck in this nightmare
That is a Local Planning Issue not covered by the Building Codes.

So are the windows installed already or you want to install them??

So just what is the issue? House on historic register?

What do you mean the city is harrising you?
Have they sent you a notice of violation?
Are you trying to permit replacement windows?
Does the city have a historic district that your house is located in? This should be documented along with rules of the district

I think they installed vinyl windows in a historically regulated house. This happens all the time in my neighborhood. People do this with the window subcontractor without permits and then they ultimately have to replace them. I secretly love when this happens. Should have installed the correct windows to begin with and had them approved thru the historical entity having jurisdiction. This was all done way before these "hard times" so that is no excuse. time to pay the piper.

Perhaps Lincoln Park? is this house under the Mills Act?

Sell the house and exclude the windows. Or just respond to every harassment "What windows?"