• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Hookah Bar

LGreene

Hi All -

I've been asked a question that is outside my area of expertise (doors). I could just say that I can't answer it, but it got me curious so I'm wondering if there is an easy answer.

The space is a hookah lounge with about 1,000 SF of seating area plus a storage room, cash register area, and one bathroom. It is located in an outdoor shopping center that has access to public restrooms. The AHJ has limited the occupant load to 15 people and said that it was because of the single restroom. (If one of you is the AHJ I'm not questioning you...just trying to figure out where the number comes from.)

The state has adopted the 2015 IBC with state amendments. I started with the IBC and can't find where it says that you can have one bathroom with an occupant load of 15. My other question is whether the public restrooms that are outside of the tenant space but within the shopping center count as plumbing facilities serving the tenant space.

Can someone point me in the right direction?
Thanks!

The restrooms that are outside of the shop should be considered if they are within 500 feet of the lounge and the fixture count for those fixtures are sufficient to cover all occupants within the building (or at least those that do not have their own separate facilities).