• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Hospital space-change of use

Vlab20

Bronze Member
I have an existing hospital(NFPA 101, 2000 edition, IBC and FGI Guidelines for Deisgn and Construction of Healthcare Facilities) that has a plenum return system in place. Any construction work or change in use of a space will trigger having to upgrade the specific room to a ducted return.

Looking for a code section in NFPA 101, CMS or FGI Guidelines. I have an existing hospital. Client wants to move a Sleep Control Room (computer monitoring work station) into an existing office space. Is this considered a "change in use"? I raise the question because we are looking for other changes in the hospital that are similar. Just looking for any code definitions related to hospitals for "change of use".

I have questions into the AHJ but I am looking for code backup in case they want me to jump through some hoops.

I am also looking to provide a Pyxis Unit (automated medicine dispensing unit) in an existing Clean Utility Room. The room will continue as a Clean Utility but will house a Pyxis unit....Change of Use? FGI Guidelines states I can place a Pyxis Unit inside a Clean Utility but it does state that this is a chnage of use.

Thoughts?

Thanks

: O :

[1]: Will the Sleep Control Room have patients in there, or only

use it as a computer work station with "wide awake" personnel ?

[2]: Moving a Pyxxis drug dispensing cabinet will [ IMO ] change

the use of the Clean Utility room [ i.e.- storage ], in to a "B"

Occ. Group use, because more persons will be accessing the

drug cabinet itself on a regular basis.

Sorry, at home, ...don't have the code books in front of

me to provide code sections.

I do not know what "CMS, or FGI" guidelines are.....Please

define / clarify !

: O :

as Coug Dad states below...CMS is Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services. If you want to collect federal Medicare and Medicaid dollars you need to meet CMS. This hospital bills to Medicare so thus we must meet NFPA 101 and must meet the FGI Guidelines for Design and Construction of Health Care Facilities (former AIA Guidelines).

Sleep Control is a work station for the sleep technician only and that technician monitors the patient at all times.

Not sure why the addition of a Pyxis Unit in a Clean Utility Room would make that space a "B" occupancy. The users of the Pyxis are the nursing staff serving hospital inpatients. The room would function equally as both a Clean Utility and a Meds room.

Still fuzzy about if this is "change of use".

I am going to avoid the change in use question at first.

The body of the FGI guidelines requires "patient care" areas to have ducted return, and ASHRAE 170 (incorporated into he FGI Guidelines) requires any areas with a pressure relationship requirement to have ducted return. A Sleep Control Room is neither a patient care area nor does it have a pressure requirement. However, the Clean Utility room does have a pressure relationship, so perhaps that could fall under the requirement for a ducted return.

The question of change in use is specific to which AHJ are you are needing to satisfy. Since the local building departments generally do not adopt FGI guidelines or ASHRAE, this is not an issue for them. Nothing in the IBC requires ducted vs plenum return. Thus it is up to CMS, State, or TJC. This can be highly variable. Those guys can get on a roll for specific issues. The only way to really know is to contact them directly. While I would find it difficult to accept that updating "Clean Utility" to "Clean Utility with Pxyis" is a change in use, if they have a jones for ducted returns, that may be all they need. They may say that adding meds dispensing to what was just linen/supplies holding may trigger an upgrade to a "cleaner" system.

You may want to try ASHE's resources. They have a listserv that is followed by hospital facilities and design types. "Have you ever been cited for ..." is a common post. Also, they have a Q&A called Just Ask ASHE. ASHE: Connect

Dr J...thank you for your feedback. I have been trying to communicate with our AHJ on the Clean Utility with Pyxis and what his thoughts are. Very hard getting these folks to get back to you. They are so busy. I will check the ASHE site...thanks.

Thanks Frank...I agree but that Clean Utility Room with Pyxis could be the AHJ's "jones" and will want it ducted. I am left with getting the AHJ to call or email back. Thanks Frank!

The building department is not going to be the licensing agency for the facility in most cases and will not be the agency enforcing CMS/FGI. I'm guessing that's why they aren't answering you.