• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

How a professional contractor builds a temp service

Are they using only 2 ungrounded secondary conductors from a Y secondary?

What’s the 1 1/2 for leaving the bottom of the panel?

A California professional contractor would install two ground rods and protect the G.E.C. with armor and a running board....that and receptacles rated "WR" would make the difference.

I'm curious, has that transformer been equipped with an all weather kit?

Last edited:
Contractors are always giving me a hard time about marking the Available Fault Current on tempory services per 110.24.
Am I asking for to much? Do other inspectors let this go?

Contractors are always giving me a hard time about marking the Available Fault Current on tempory services per 110.24.
Am I asking for to much? Do other inspectors let this go?
If it is in a residential area I am comfortable with 10,000 amp gear but if it is not in a residential area I always ask for the AIC. I haven't asked for the label on temp power equipment.

A California professional contractor would install two ground rods and protect the G.E.C. with armor and a running board....that and receptacles rated "WR" would make the difference.

I'm curious, has that transformer been equipped with an all weather kit?

Well, first of all. There are two ground rods visible in the picture. Next, the transformer is listed and labeled with a NEMA 3R enclosure so I don't understand what you mean.

Well, first of all. There are two ground rods visible in the picture. Next, the transformer is listed and labeled with a NEMA 3R enclosure so I don't understand what you mean.
Oh right you are....I found the second rod. When I googled the catalog # of the transformer I found mention of the weather kit so, of course, I wondered about that.....Mostly because I don't know a lot about transformers. Any thoughts on the rest of it?

Last edited: