• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

How Deep Is Your Flange

jar546

Forum Coordinator
How deep is your flange, how deep is your flange, I really need to learn. Cause we're living in a world of fools, breaking us down............... (you know the song)

What, if any code violation do you see? Where are my code number geeks?

Flange.jpg

Probably won’t drain well with the towel stuffed in there.

When i installed new toto’s in my house, i bought some kind of rubber seal thingie that stuck to the bottom of the bowl with adhesive. Since they were new i knew it would stick well because the bowl wasn’t contaminated with wax. Didn’t have to worry about messing up the wax if i had trouble setting the potty.

All violations need to have a way to fix them. Sometimes there is a product on the market that will do that sometimes it has to be torn out and redone.
Will the fix work and meet the intent of the code is the question that needs to be answered.

You asked for codes, its hard to see but one violation I often saw in my inspection days was no attachment to the floor (2018 IPC 405.4.1, 405.4.2) As far as the level, that would depend on the MFR instructions. Some have a requirement, some don't. Oatey, for example says "flush with or on top of the finished floor". Never have I seen an installation lower than than the level on which the toilet will rest that made me comfortable, but small tolerances can be absorbed by the use of the various products designed to accommodate them. Your picture would definitely prompt me to ask them for the MFR installation instructions. Which, of course, would be hard to come up with. In that case I would revert to the industry practice of level or on top the finish floor.

How do we cite that? 2018 IPC 102.9 "Any requirements necessary for the strength. stability or proper operation of an existing or proposed plumbing system,.....not specifically covered by this code shall be determined by the code official". The condition you show would definitely be considered "operation".

So what you are saying is that this is not a violation and there are ways to fix this?
I see problem, that as an inspector, I am going to require someone to explain to me what the fix will be. It is still in progress, so I do not that it is a violation yet. But I would continue to track what they are doing, ask some questions, and make sure I get a copy of the installation guide for whatever solution they propose.

Oh, and if you want a code section, all the good books have a workmanship clause of sorts. For the IPC...

301.2 System Installation
Plumbing shall be installed with due regard to preservation of the strength of structural members and prevention of damage to walls and other surfaces through fixture usage.

this is the interesting thing we face. You see bad workmanship and you have no direct code to cite. Years down the road someone says "how could you have accepted that?

Interesting topic, the true test is the after WC install "sit" test, does it rock?
On another note, is there also an offset device to allow for ADA center to wall dimension and if so, how much over shift is allowed to use it?

We use offset flanges frequently, to get ADA dimensions. Our plumbers tell us they will do 1” but beyond that there is concern about impeding the flow. The offset manufacturer claims more, our guys are a little cautions.