• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

How do you determine FIRE SEPARATION DISTANCE?

Remington

Plan checker came back to me with the following comment:
"show dimension of the roof eave projection along the side of the building to ensure proper distance from the interior property line"

Apparently I need to follow the following code section 705.2 Projections:
screenshot%202019-08-26%2010.57.50.png

TABLE 705.2 MINIMUM DISTANCE OF PROJECTION

I cant make sense of it.

We have a 53" eave overhang. This overhang is 39" away from the property line, so I chose the 3rd row down (Greater than 3 feet to less than 30 feet) to do the associated calculations to the right of the table under "MINIMUM DISTANCE FROM LINE USED TO DETERMINE FSD":

39 inches - 3 ft = 3” = .25 (of one foot)
24” + (8”)(.25)= 48”..... so.. 48" from the property line? This makes no sense.

Minimum distance from what line?

FYI: FSD is defined as follows
FIRE SEPARATION DISTANCE. The distance measured from the building face to one of the following:
  1. The closest interior lot line;

Perhaps I should have made it clear that the property is located in high fire hazard zone so proper distance from adjacent properties are required.