• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

How do you prevent a bad building from getting a permit in your jurisdiction?

CBOGUY

I have a builder that constantly gets complaints about his construction practices at his 4 residential sites. The residents nearby have requested that we stop issuing permits to them.Our inspectors have issued warnings,stop work orders-citations and double fees when warranted, but the contractor seems to always find himself not in compliance with his various projects.

Our city legal council has told me that we will have to add banning a repeat code violator in our ordinance, to stop him from getting a permit in our jurisdiction.

Do you have some advice to help me In this situation?

Thanks!

With all the warnings and other

The house gets built?

Approved by the city for occupancy?

As long as it meets code and other city standards, say it is just pain ugly

Not much you can do

Take more time when inspecting?

Write everything you see?

Charge reinspection fees, if you can?

When you set out to deprive someone from earning a living you are on thin ice. If a license is required there might be an avenue to put a stop to the recalcitrant contractor. But even that is difficult. A lot depends on the nature of the offense.

We are talking Georgia here, don't they tend to be less stringent? Find a good lawyer? Contact local newspapers & TV?
License required in Georgia?

Here the State is the only one how can give you permission to stop issuing permits. They are also the only one that can take the license.

Two thoughts:

Who holds/issues the license? Our Code Appeals Board hears the case against repeat offenders and can suspend or revoke a license if warranted.

However, if you're doing all required inspections, and you issue a CO after you have gained code compliance on all issues, you've done your job.

My understanding is that contractor licenses are issued by the state not the local jurisdiction. Thus you cannot revoke the contractors license, no matter what your local ordinance says, but you can file a complaint with the state licensing body.

State of CO does not think that licensing the guys that build the buildings is necessary, just the plumbers and electricians. I ran it by my City Council two years ago, they weren't worried about it either. Go figure...........

We have a couple registrations that go into a guarantee fund for home improvement and new homes, no license, no test, no continuing ed...That is it, nothing for commercial...

If he is not in compliance, how does he manage to pass inspections? Look at your own people at this point and stay strong when you are correct. If they move forward after being failed, stop work order, then write a citation if the stop work order was violated. Actually take them to adjudication and get the judge to issue fines that ACTUALLY GET PAID.