• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

How do you respond to this?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Unfortunately, I get emails similar to this all the time. After the Surfside collapse, it was way, way worse and included frantic phone calls and in person visits which takes up a lot of time. Here is an example of an email when you have 53 mid and high-rise condos on the ocean and people who never lived in one before.

Dear XXXXXXX,

As a resident of XXXXXXXX here in XXXXXXXXX I have concerns about safety of our building. I see many, many residents installing tile floors in their condos.

I know these floors are very heavy in of themselves and the quick set or cement used also have a heavy footprint.

Since these buildings were built in 1978ish when most residents had carpet, I would like to know how these buildings can sustain all this new weight…

Are there any restrictions? Will the buildings be compromised in any?

Will they have so much extra weight that they could fall??

Are we in danger of any kind? Do you inspect?

Please let me know if your department is the one who will answer these very important questions.

Thank you,

Please let me know if your department is the one who will answer these very important questions.
That's an exit portal.
Recommend that they pose the question to the HOA. When you hear from the HOA recommend that they pose the question to an engineer. When you hear from the engineer, thank the engineer and ask that it be put in writing for the file.