• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

How much can you cut from joist?

moranman

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum here, but absolutely loving the information I'm reading about. I'm doing a small remodel in my basement and I'm looking for a way to cut down on how many soffits are in one of the rooms. I have a vent hose that comes in from the outside wall, drops down below the joists and connects to our furnace about 15' away (picture below). Is there any way to work this hose through the joist and then support the joist with a bracket or 2x4s? Any ideas on how to work around this would be really helpful.

2rm1rx3.jpg

Thanks all.

I-joist (webs) centers can be cut but not the flanges, there are limitations to the hole size that can be cut depending on the manufactures requirements, type of joist, depth of joist, distance from bearing, square, rectangle or round cut.

There may be information printed on the I-joist to help identify the joist.

With this information, you could contact the manufactures helpline or as Francis suggested contact an engineer for ways to eliminate the soffits.

Hard piping may work, depending on the vent tubing requirements of your furnace.

Can the vent piping be re-routed?

Wow, you guys are great. That's helpful. Thanks for the chart @Francis Vineyard

The piping can't be rerouted. I've thought it through so many ways. I could cut a new hole for the vent outside etc, but just not worth it. Any concerns about going through a reducer? 6" down to 4" so I could pass through the joist?

You would need at least 2, and probably 3, 4" ducts to get the same airflow as a 6" duct. Another possibility is a 4" x 10" oval. The main problem with either is whether there is space for the transistions.