• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

How stupid are people?

I would guess they had a bad experience and are trying to protect against future stupidity.

You must have faith in humanity still....

Common sense is not so common anymore. Hell, half the guests probably don't even know that it is a fire sprinkler head. Those that do, probably think the movies have it right and that when one head goes off, they all do.

Many a years ago, I remember being called out to shutdown an audible system where the tenants in the office space plastic zip tied the old bulb style Christmas Lights to the sprinkler heads and a few bulbs tripped the heads when they heated up. Sometimes logic is just not in the cards.

Pretty sure Rome needs to burn to the ground when we start putting "garbage...Do not eat" on our trash cans....We stayed down in Cocoa Beach for my birthday several years back and was astounded at all of the idiotproofing signs they had at the hotel...I took like 50 pictures...

Doesn't California require signs on garbage containers and trucks warning contents may cause cancer?
That's oveboard... speaking of overboard, we have "May cause all sorts of problems" signs at our beaches. Whenever it rains we are told to stay out of the water for a week.

Do we have a scale? Or what is the high score to date?

Just had a guy that "went to law school" and "was an electrician" that was trying to argue that a new PV system wasn't an alteration or an extension of the electrical system for purposes of CO upgrades....

Common sense is an uncommon trait.
Just remember, once upon a time it was common sense the earth was flat and that man can't fly. I appreciate the uncommon sense of some people.

BTW, not all people would recognize the device pictured as being a fire sprinkler, especially if not from US, where the sprinkler industry has done an amazing job of getting their work required by law.

I believe that this came to be with the result of motels and the "newer" clothes steamer for removing winkles causing alot of activation of fire sprinler heads in various motels - I am almost 100% positive that this was in a motel room....... Holiday Inn Perhaps??? Corporate has had a few instances where this has happened - Insurace company wats to raise rates - coprporation spends money on silly signs

It is hard to believe this even has to be done.
Why? This has nothing to do with stupid or smart. This is just a question of informed or uninformed. If you're not familiar with fire sprinklers, you may not know what they are or what they do. The point of the sign is to inform the uninformed.

Wayne

Why? This has nothing to do with stupid or smart. This is just a question of informed or uninformed. If you're not familiar with fire sprinklers, you may not know what they are or what they do. The point of the sign is to inform the uninformed.

Wayne
What ever happened to "if you don't know what it is, don't touch it?"

If I'd never seen a fire sprinkler and/or knew very little about them I believe it would look like a coat or towel hook.

"DON'T TOUCH THEM!"

(for you youngsters:
)

These are sidewall sprinklers that are typically outside the bathroom wall parallel to the path to the bed and there is a electrical receptacle under it. This is the typical location any hotel guest will unfold the ironing board and do ironing. This sprinkler head is a convenient location to place a freshly ironed piece of clothing on a hanger.

These are sidewall sprinklers that are typically outside the bathroom wall parallel to the path to the bed and there is a electrical receptacle under it. This is the typical location any hotel guest will unfold the ironing board and do ironing. This sprinkler head is a convenient location to place a freshly ironed piece of clothing on a hanger.
What's odd about this particular picture is that isn't a sidewall sprinkler. It's a pendent. The signs for sidewalls are so common I don't even notice them anymore, but seeing one for a pendent in a ceiling is new to me. You have to try pretty hard to get a coat hanger to hold on to that one.