• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

I might as well have an Intro thread...

JCraver

Sawhorse
Hello all.

I'm a recently-hired Building Inspector/Code Enforcement/Zoning Enforcement Officer from a small city in Southern Illinois. I was casually browsing the web for like-employed folks, and found you all. Been lurking for a couple weeks and have put some info. I've gained from past threads here to use, so thought I'd introduce myself and say Thanks.

My background is in the trades; I was a GC for several years, and worked a number of jobs in various disciplines before that. It's a bit, um, different, on this side of the desk, but I'm getting used to it (I think!).

We're a small municipality, ~7000 residents, and just recently adopted the '09 I-codes (sans residential sprinklers). A requirement of my employment was that I complete a bunch of the ICC certs., so if none of you mind I'm sure there will be many, many questions in that regard from me in the future... I've passed the Permit Tech., Prop. Maint., and Legal module so far - working on Technology now. My city is paying for the tests and all my study materials, so I guess as long as I keep passing tests I'll keep taking them.

Anyway, just wanted to say Hi, and Thanks. Seems to be a bunch of knowledge here - hopefully I can someday add to it.

You came to the right place - this is it, this is the swinginest Codes Forum on the net...

Welcome

""Been lurking for a couple weeks and have put some info. I've gained from past threads here to use""

Boy are you trusting

""Building Inspector/Code Enforcement/Zoning Enforcement Officer""

WOW, a hat trick!!! Three hat wearer

( - - - - )

JCraver,

1st, ...Welcome to The Building Codes Forum ! :cool:

2nd, ...I will also encourage you to become a Sawhorse

on this Forum........A Sawhorse is a "paid subscription" member

that has editing privileges, plus you will be supporting THE

BEST code based Forum on the internet, ...bar none !

We have the best group of professionals, of ANY web site

on the World Wide Web, ...P E R I O D !! :agree

( - - - - )

Welcome JCraver! Glad you found us and joined in, bring on the questions and help with other answers!

The entrance to the garage area is on the left and plan north. The electrical room is off the atrium on the right next to the seating and down a corridor.Whoops! Wrong thread. I'd delete this post if I knew how.

View attachment 1028

View attachment 1028

/monthly_2014_03/572953d1ecd31_03-14-14OFFICEPLAN.jpg.3f673b7ef2c8ae7ecb7e82b7364f9fb8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome.

I too came to the dark side from the private sector just over 5 years ago.

There is an incredible wealth of knowledge here at the forum. Enjoy!

mj

Although you can determine quite a bit about this forum in a few weeks, figuring out who to look to for help takes a while. Here's a time warp.

Accessibility..Mark Handler

Electrical......Chris, Dennis and Gregg

Plumbing......Francis Vineyard

Mechanical....Mtlogcabin

Framing........Brent

Pastry...........fatboy

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome JCraver, always nice to get a fresh perspective. Good luck in your new career as well. Many of us (in Codes) have a construction background as well.

Some of us have gone even farther into the darkness and also instruct Codes... :eek:

+ = + = +

"Although you can determine quite a bit about this forum in a few weeks, figuring out who to look to for help takes a while. Here's a time warp.Accessibility..Mark Handler

Mechanical....Mtlogcabin

Framing........Brent

Pastry...........fatboy"
Add one more classification,

**ICE**........................................"the Resident Court Jester and Picture-a-holic" !

+ = + = +

ICE said:
Although you can determine quite a bit about this forum in a few weeks, figuring out who to look to for help takes a while. Here's a time warp.Accessibility..Mark Handler

Mechanical....Mtlogcabin

Framing........Brent

Pastry...........fatboy
Hmmmm, seems like employment was left out and who would that be???

Mmmarvel, of course!

ICE said:
Although you can determine quite a bit about this forum in a few weeks, figuring out who to look to for help takes a while. Here's a time warp.Accessibility..Mark Handler

Mechanical....Mtlogcabin

Framing........Brent

Pastry...........fatboy
You didn't mention DOORS!

~ + ~ + ~ + ~

"Accessibility \ ADA stuff.............Mark HandlerElectrical...........Chris, Dennis and Gregg

Plumbing.............Francis Vineyard

Mechanical.........Mtlogcabin

Framing...............Brent

Pastry...........fatboy"
My apologies to the other professionals on here!........I

inadvertently left some off "The List" !

Add these to that list:

mmmarvel.................Our "Employment" resource extraordinaire !

Glenn..................All things related to "Decks" ( and other )

NOTE: Glenn IS an MCP !

LGreene.................All things related to "Doors" ( and other )

There are numerous other professionals on here also, that

exhibit their knowledge base on a regular basis..........My

sincere thanks & appreciation to all of them !

Again, ...this Forum is a true "fount of knowledge" !

~ + ~ + ~ + ~

north star said:
~ + ~ + ~ + ~

My apologies to the other professionals on here!........I

inadvertently left some off "The List" !

Add these to that list:

mmmarvel.................Our "Employment" resource extraordinaire !

Glenn..................All things related to "Decks" ( and other )

NOTE: Glenn IS an MCP !

LGreene.................All things related to "Doors" ( and other )

There are numerous other professionals on here also, that

exhibit their knowledge base on a regular basis..........My

sincere thanks & appreciation to all of them !

Again, ...this Forum is a true "fount of knowledge" !

~ + ~ + ~ + ~
Boy,

You better get it together before you do your Oscar speech.

Thank all the little people that made me a Star