• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IBC 2015 Table 508.4 - what am I missing?

Paul Legan

Hi all, new member here, looking forward to contributing to the forum.

I thought table 508.4 showed required occupancy separations based on occupancy hazard.

So a B-occupancy and F-1 (Moderate-hazard factory industrial) requires no separation.

But a B-occupancy and F-2 (Low-hazard factory industrial) requires 1-hour (sprinklered) or 2-hour (non-sprinklered)

How does that make sense? B occupancy and moderate hazard, no separation. B occupancy and low hazard, 1 or 2 hr separation.

Any thoughts?
Thanks, Paul

Welcome to the forum!

Separation is based on fire load. A Group B occupancy tends to have a high fire load considering all the furnishings and paper products it encloses. Group B and Group F-1 occupancies are considered to have comparable fire loads; thus, there is no need to separate the two. A Group F-2 occupancy has a low fire load; it, therefore, needs to be protected from the higher fire load within a Group B occupancy.

Welcome to the forum!

Separation is based on fire load. A Group B occupancy tends to have a high fire load considering all the furnishings and paper products it encloses. Group B and Group F-1 occupancies are considered to have comparable fire loads; thus, there is no need to separate the two. A Group F-2 occupancy has a low fire load; it, therefore, needs to be protected from the higher fire load within a Group B occupancy.

Ah, that makes sense, I guess I had in my mind that a F occupancy in general was a higher hazard than a B, but that's not necessarily the case. Thanks!

Welcome

What part of Colorado ??

I went to Salida this past year and loved it!!!

Reactions: JBI
@@@
" cda, there's only a "LIKE" button, you and jar don't give us any other choice "
PC, what other choice are you wanting, and have you sent a PM to Jeff with your thoughts ?
@@@

"That's how they do it in that other jurisdiction!" button.

"Dilly Dilly! button,good one cda

Table 508.4 is really used to provide required separations in order to allow the separated mixed use provisions of Section 508 to be properly applied, that is the sum of the ratios method as opposed to the 'most restrictive' provisions for non-separated occupancies. It's really about determining allowable building area.

We took the Budweiser brewery tour in St. Louis, at the end you got to sample one of their brews. While tasting a beer, they played several of their commercials, it was amazing how many commercials they made and how many you remembered. The "I love you man!" was my favorite, but the frogs had their day too.

I think this threads been hi-jacked!

We took the Budweiser brewery tour in St. Louis, at the end you got to sample one of their brews. While tasting a beer, they played several of their commercials, it was amazing how many commercials they made and how many you remembered. The "I love you man!" was my favorite, but the frogs had their day too.

I think this threads been hi-jacked!

Yep went to Sea World in San Diego once a few years ago, and in their hospitality area, they had about six stands giving out FREE Bud, and you would just make the rounds, and the servers did not care if you quad dipped a few times!!

Welcome to the forum!

Moderate-Hazard factory Industrial, Group F-1
Low-Hazard factory Industrial, Group F-2

Is 'hazard' related to fire load?
Is a low hazard > moderate hazard?
Is a change of occupancy from F-2 to F-1 a change to a less hazardous occupancy?

Thanks for any enlightenment!